• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Yelled" at a teacher

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cricket140

What is the name of your state?Idaho

I had a verbal disagreement with the teacher in front of her class. She reported me to the principal. Came back to talk to her the next day, entered the classroom and the principal came in yelling my name, grabbed my arm, started hollering, "Outside, outside. We need to take this outside". I was quite shocked and at that point very angry and LOUD.
Long story short, the teacher has pressed charges against me. Apparantly, there is an "abuse of a school teacher law" saying that if you berate a teacher in front of a student is is a misdemeanor.
I am a perfectly law-abiding person. Do lots of community service and volunteer work at the school. Haven't even had a traffic ticket in 15 years.

What do you think are the chances that any thing will actually come of this?

Veronica1228

cricket140 said:
What is the name of your state?Idaho

I had a verbal disagreement with the teacher in front of her class. She reported me to the principal. Came back to talk to her the next day, entered the classroom and the principal came in yelling my name, grabbed my arm, started hollering, "Outside, outside. We need to take this outside". I was quite shocked and at that point very angry and LOUD.
Long story short, the teacher has pressed charges against me. Apparantly, there is an "abuse of a school teacher law" saying that if you berate a teacher in front of a student is is a misdemeanor.
I am a perfectly law-abiding person. Do lots of community service and volunteer work at the school. Haven't even had a traffic ticket in 15 years.

What do you think are the chances that any thing will actually come of this?
My crystal ball is in the shop, but let me ask my Magic Eight Ball. Hang on.

Shaking, shaking, shaking.....

It says "Ask again later." Sorry.

nohr4u1yr

Turn the tables...

I'm sure the teacher was quite shocked at your childlike demeanor by yelling at her infront of her class. And if YOUR child was in the class I'm sure they are humiliated by your actions.

Whatever the situation was, you as an ADULT should have asked to speak with her in private. And now you are upset because she filed charges on you?

Sheesh! Take a anger management class...

cricket140

"yelled" at the teacher

mmm...,

I think you missed the point. Secondly, I have profusely apologized to everyone involved. I didn't really yell, I just told her she needed to lighten up. She got mad. I am not upset about the charge. I just wonder how far it will actually go.

ldkirby

cricket140 said:
mmm...,

I think you missed the point. Secondly, I have profusely apologized to everyone involved. I didn't really yell, I just told her she needed to lighten up. She got mad. I am not upset about the charge. I just wonder how far it will actually go.
mmm, I think YOU missed the point.

The fact that the Principal came right after you when he saw you leads me to believe that you made enough of a scene the first day.

I don't remember parents EVER just showing up to talk to the teacher. That is for after school, on the phone, by appointment, etc.

AND, you told her to lighten up? Fill us in on what you wanted her to lighten up about.

cricket140

"yelled" at the teacher

You want the whole story? I received a phone call from the teacher at 1:30 in the p.m. Apparantly, earlier in the day, a little boy in my son's class, they are 8 and in the 2nd grade, picked him up and shoved him against the bricks and the basketball poles. My son was upset, and at noon recess, went out to the little boy, grabbed his shirt and a button fell off. The little boy went into the class crying, and my son told me he tried to tell her what had happened earlier, but she wouldn't listen to him. Anyway, she told me she made him write a note of apology and he was going to miss his treat on friday, and he needed to ge the shirt fixed. I told her maybe she got me at the wrong time, but the whole thing didn't seem like that big of a deal to me. She went on about how he had destroyed another person's property and how would I feel if my son came home without the button on his shirt. I told her I would probably just sew another one on. She told me he needed consequences, so I asked her how much punishment she wanted him to have. She said he either needed to find the button or get the shirt fixed. I told her I didn't think he would be able to find the button on the playground and did she want me to send a button in the next day. She was pretty upset, didn't know what she would have the little boy do she hadn't talked to his mother yet. I told her just to have the other mom call me and I would work it out with her. I then called my mother and asked her If I was missing something since it didin't sound like a big deal to me. She suggested I go to school andsew on the button. Sounded like a good idea to me and since my sonwas having such a bad day I would take him home with me. I got to school and told my son to get his stuff and wait for me in the hallway. I then asked the teacher where was the shirt that needed to be fixed. She said oh, it was no big deal all ready taken care of. I then asked her why I wasn't called when my son was physically assualted in the bathroom, and why I wasn't called when he was circled by bullies on the playground, but let a button pop off a shirt and everyone comes unglued. She said not in the classroom. At that point she was not mad. Then I told her to lighten up. Her whole countenance changed and she said she was calling the principal. I told her to be sure and tell him that I was on my way to his office. When I left the classroom, he was standing in the hall talking to someone, so I took my son and left.

Parents come and go at the school all the time. This teacher was one of my other children's teachers last year. I have volunteered a lot of time in her classroom. Organizing parties, teaching crafts, sending in treats, whatever she has asked me to do, I have done.

Last edited:
Well color me purple and put me in a tree

I would have gotten out my cane on all of them little fellows. What kind of charge would I have gotten?

Bad little fellows grow up to be bad big fellows. I don't know what you are talking about Mister Darcy, I love Melodrama, If I don't have 3 or 4 a day I do not stay regular.

cricket140

"Yelled" at the teacher

Golly,

In my opinion, neither one of them were doing anything that most little boys don't do. I have heard it said that there are two kinds of men in this world, them that got beat up as kids, and them that did the beatin'. I think they both should have been told to shake hands and go out and behave themselves.

It did not start out to be melodrama, I honestly just went in to fix the button! because that is what the teacher wanted-the button fixed.

Sealingwax

Teacher's point of view

I have taught second grade for 23 years, and have read this thread with amusement.

It sounds to me like the teacher is not that experienced, and felt threatened when the parent confronted her in front of the class. The fact that she tried to dismiss the matter when the parent arrived tends to support this.

Having said that, I must declare that it is in my view totally unappropriate for a parent to visit the classroom uninvited, let alone voice criticism of her in front of the class. Picture how you would feel if you were confronted in front of your family.

My reactions to your post:

I then asked her why I wasn't called when my son was physically assualted in the bathroom, and why I wasn't called when he was circled by bullies on the playground, but let a button pop off a shirt and everyone comes unglued.

You were confrontational and accusing, and put the teacher in a very awkward position. She has to sustain her image of control in front of a group of 8-year-old children, and you are making that very difficult.

She said not in the classroom.
She means, "Not in front of the children."

At that point she was not mad.
No, not much. She was seething.

Then I told her to lighten up.
Then you made it personal. And she was perfectly justified in throwing you out.

cricket140

yelled at the teacher

You are right on almost all counts.However, she did not throw me out, I left. At our school, parents come and go all the time. The next day I came into say "Sorry". That is when the principal grabbed me and yelled at me to go outside. I came there in peace and I thought I was coming when the kids were getting ready to go to lunch, not to interrupt her class. I have apologized. What more can I do? I was wrong. I definetly wouldn't do it again, but, who hasn't, at one time or another, said or done something they wish they hadn't?

fire1ss

Another view on this

If parents, or anyone for that mater, can just walk into the school and enter a classroom, without having to check in at the office first, I wonder about the safety of this school. The teacher should not have even started the conversation with you. The teacher should of had you go straight to the office. Yes the problem involved 2 boys not one. But we all know that it is the person that strikes back that gets caught. If it it true that your child was intimidated while in the bathroom out of the teacher's view then she probably did not even know about it. That should have been brought up to the principle before you entered the classroom. The princepal putting his hands on you to remove you is another issue.

ldkirby

"Apparantly, earlier in the day, a little boy in my son's class, they are 8 and in the 2nd grade, picked him up and shoved him against the bricks and the basketball poles"

Is it the bathroom or the basketball poles? It's hard to believe your story when you keep changing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">