• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Babysitter Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StressedSitter

What is the name of your state? CO

Situation: My wife is an active babysitter. She watches two boys regularly. One boy is 5 years old and the other is 2. She also watches our own children, a 6 year old boy and a 2 year old boy at the same time. A week ago, while my wife was in the bathroom taking care of business, the 2 year old she watches managed to pull over a entry table and broke his nose. The other three boys were in a different location when it happened. They of course stormed in on my wife while she was frantically trying to clean up to see what the hassle was. She immediately left two message on the mothers voice mail at work detailing the situation and that the nose was bleeding on occasion. The actual breaking of the nose wasn't discovered until that night when the father took him into the emergency room. The mother of the son asked my wife if she felt she needed to leave work. Of course my wife didn't know for sure as it stopped bleeding after a given time. So she indicated to the mother it was her decision. Even when the mother picked her two sons up she didn't take him to get looked at, and later dropped them off with the evening babysitter. It was finally the father that works the late shift that decided to do so when he got home at 11:30 pm.

My Question: Although a threat of litigation hasn't been brought before us (my wife even waived 21 hours of watching these boys to help with their co payment,) what is the potential for a lawsuit to be brought against us? I've been trying to define to myself and wife what would be classified as neglect in this situation but I am not clear on how Colorado views these lines. The only reason I have a semi worry is that the Mother stated on a visit later that her Mother In Law had indicated that she should go after our Renter's Insurance. The Mother's response to her Mother In Law was, "Why should I when my health insurance will cover it." Even with this statement I still want to be prepared for the worst.

Thank you in advance for your comments

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">