• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alana77

What is the name of your state? CA

Hello! I need some help here.
The situation is this:

Have been married for 3 years and 3 monthes. I got my Green Cart through the marriage. Have been separated already for 1 year and 2 months. The Husband put me in debt by using my SSN and not paying bills. (Though I agreed to put my name under couple of bills, according to him it "will help me to establish credit in US") Though the real reason was, as I found out later, his red flag under his SSN , so noone would provide him with the service.
Some time later I found out that I was placed for collection 3 times. Now I ve been paying all the debts under my SSN.
We are separated, live in different states now. He is in ID.
I am planning a divorce in 2 months. Afraid that he won't be cooperative and I will have to pay for the divorce and probably hire a lawyer.
My question is will I qualify for any spousal support?
At the moment of separation I had no job..
Now I have a part-time job in a retail store, with 20 K income per year.
He has 90K income, but was mariied twice before and has 3 kids and child support.
We don't have any kids in this marriage.
Thank you.

Last edited:

dallas702

You're probably not going to get support for such a short marriage, but he will probably be ordered to pay your reasonable legal bills. He will probably be ordered to pay off all the debts given the wide difference in income.

But any judge is going to either ask you directly or certainly consider that it looks like you married this loser just to get citizenship. If the judge thinks that is the case you might find yourself in the hands of the INS and on your way back to "wherever". You did mean "Green Card", didn't you?

LdiJ

dallas702 said:
You're probably not going to get support for such a short marriage, but he will probably be ordered to pay your reasonable legal bills. He will probably be ordered to pay off all the debts given the wide difference in income.

But any judge is going to either ask you directly or certainly consider that it looks like you married this loser just to get citizenship. If the judge thinks that is the case you might find yourself in the hands of the INS and on your way back to "wherever". You did mean "Green Card", didn't you?
Since she already has the green card, and is employed, she is not going to get deported because of a divorce. If she didn't already have the green card that would be possible....but not once she has it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">