• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Papers being served

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Amla

What is the name of your state? NY

I expect divorce papers to be served any minute. he lives 10 minutes away not sure how he will react. Doubt he would be physically abusive but the verbal stuff is gonna be ugly. he owns the house and i have not changed the locks. Been advised that i could intall a slide lock for when me/kids arehome - haven;t done that yet. my question if I feel the need (and basd is packed in car) to leave for a day or two am I abandoning the property?

Need answer soon. My kids are sick and wont be going to work today so if todays the day I need to know what to do. BTW he is a retired cop needs his firearms to support himself and eventually kids so don't want to have to call 911.

LdiJ

Amla said:
What is the name of your state? NY

I expect divorce papers to be served any minute. he lives 10 minutes away not sure how he will react. Doubt he would be physically abusive but the verbal stuff is gonna be ugly. he owns the house and i have not changed the locks. Been advised that i could intall a slide lock for when me/kids arehome - haven;t done that yet. my question if I feel the need (and basd is packed in car) to leave for a day or two am I abandoning the property?

Need answer soon. My kids are sick and wont be going to work today so if todays the day I need to know what to do. BTW he is a retired cop needs his firearms to support himself and eventually kids so don't want to have to call 911.
Call a locksmith and get the slide lock installed immediately...TODAY....or buy one and do it yourself. Get one for all entrances.

If he owns the house I would not recommend leaving it at this point. You could easily find yourself locked out when you try to return.

If there is trouble you MUST call 911. Don't make the mistake of trying to be kind or protect yourself financially if you are at risk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">