• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accused Of Assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

delayjf

What is the name of your state? CA

My step daughter has filed a police report claiming that I assaulted her. Her grandmother lives with her mother and me and we got into an argument over something sily. I had already apologized and all seemed well when my step-daughter came over and took the Grandmother for a ride.

I assume the Grandmother told her of our spat. When they returned, the step-daughter came into our apartment and began reading me the riot act. I stood up and told her that I didn't want to hear her what she had to say and ordered her out of my apartment. Instead she came over to me and began poking me in the chest with her finger. I knocked her hand away with my hand at which point she rushed me, grabbed me and began pushing me back. I whirled her around and held her around the waist with one arm. As we were already near the door, I openned the door with my other hand and then pushed her out. She tripped on the door jam and fell on the walk way outside.

She's now claiming that I slammed her down on the cement. And that she was bruised from head to toe. She filed a report and took pictures of the bruises.

I never slammed her down on the cement. I never even picked her up, as she weighs about 160 pounds, the only way I could have "slammed" her to the cement would be to pick her straight up and then straight down. I never left the apartment and I'm not strong enough to throw he 6 feet in the air.

I was never arrested nor did she sustain any real injuries. An investigator called to get my statement, but before I could give it, she said the case had gone to the DA for action. As I'm sure her version differs from mine, I do have the only witness who saw the whole thing and can back up that she instigated the altercation.

What should I do at this point.

Should I file a counter charge as she refused my order to leave and then instigated the confrontation.
OR
Should I contact the DA and offer my statement to them so they can consider my statement along side hers.
OR
any other ideas?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">