• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can we do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anxious_mom

What is the name of your state? MA

We received a letter from an attorney, who is representing a major retailer requesting my 20 yr old daughter pay civil damages for an incident of shoplifting that occured a couple of months back. I was unaware of this occurrence and when confronted my daughter explained that she had picked up some costume jewelry and was detained while walking out the door. They told her there would be no criminal charges, since she gave it back, but took some information from her.

There was extenuating circumstances for her behaving so and this has been the 1st time ever that she has done anything dishonest.

What can we do, so this does not come back to haunt her? I have paid the $275.00 requested by the attorney.

Thanks

TYRIS

anxious_mom said:
What is the name of your state? MA

We received a letter from an attorney, who is representing a major retailer requesting my 20 yr old daughter pay civil damages for an incident of shoplifting that occured a couple of months back. I was unaware of this occurrence and when confronted my daughter explained that she had picked up some costume jewelry and was detained while walking out the door. They told her there would be no criminal charges, since she gave it back, but took some information from her.

There was extenuating circumstances for her behaving so and this has been the 1st time ever that she has done anything dishonest.

What can we do, so this does not come back to haunt her? I have paid the $275.00 requested by the attorney.

Thanks

-Did you sign anyhting stating that you have paid restitution? Did you receive anything stating you paid restitution?

Tyris

anxious_mom

No, I have not received a receipt of payment nor was I asked to sign anything. I did keep a copy of what was mailed out to the attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">