• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Party to fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sealingwax

In the State of New Jersey, I am planning to open a check-printing service in my spare time.

I will advertise, proccess orders and billing for the service. I will outsource the actual printing, boxing and shipping the checks to the clients by partnering with an existing check printer on the wholesale level.

My concerns are that a client may submit fraudulent account information to me, and obtain checks for a non-exisiting account. Can I be considered party to the crime if I supply him with checks without first verifying his bank information?

As a matter of fact, I'm not sure how I would do that. My bank manager says she thinks the only way is to have the client pay me by check, and see whether or not it is paid. And that would entail delaying the order for at least one week.

Not the way I'd want to run the business.

Thanks to all.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">