• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice on Annulment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dwash572001

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have what I would consider to be a very unique case. I need advice on how I should proceed with this. Here is my story.

I married a women that I dated in college. I was 21, she was 20. The primary reason we married at the time was because she was pregnant. That was 25 years ago. Through a series of events I found out that the child she was pregnant with was not mine. She had, as she calls it, a one night stand with some guy she met at a party she went to. She was living in Missouri and I was in Texas at the time. When she called me to tell me that she was pregnant, she did not tell me about this one night stand she had and I naturally proceeded under the assumption that I was responsible for the child she was carrying.

She dropped out of school and moved to Texas where we married before a justice of the peace. No family present, just a friend to witness our marriage. Our marriage has been a nightmare for day 1.

It has been about 4 years since I found out about this issue and I have been in a tailspin as one can imagine. We have been separated now for about 9 months. I have decided to end that marriage. My question is is this a good case for Annulment. I do not want to file for Divorce.

Thank you, in advance.
Darrow

rmet4nzkx

Please copnsult an attorney. It is unlikely that you qualify for an annulment, you were married for a quarter of a centuary, you remained married after you learned of this other 1 nite stand. You raised this child as your own and didn't question it sooner. Get a divorce if you like but annulment doens't solve anything.

dwash572001

rmet4nzkx
Thanks for your reply. In my research of Annulment I found that certain conditions must exist. In my situation I believe Fraud and Consealment apply. I realize that it was along time ago that this happened however I just found out 4 years ago. I went through the classic symptons of shock, denial etc. I am just now to a point that I can deal with it with any objectivity.

Yes I raised the child as my own because I was lead to believe she was my own.

LdiJ

dwash572001 said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have what I would consider to be a very unique case. I need advice on how I should proceed with this. Here is my story.

I married a women that I dated in college. I was 21, she was 20. The primary reason we married at the time was because she was pregnant. That was 25 years ago. Through a series of events I found out that the child she was pregnant with was not mine. She had, as she calls it, a one night stand with some guy she met at a party she went to. She was living in Missouri and I was in Texas at the time. When she called me to tell me that she was pregnant, she did not tell me about this one night stand she had and I naturally proceeded under the assumption that I was responsible for the child she was carrying.

She dropped out of school and moved to Texas where we married before a justice of the peace. No family present, just a friend to witness our marriage. Our marriage has been a nightmare for day 1.

It has been about 4 years since I found out about this issue and I have been in a tailspin as one can imagine. We have been separated now for about 9 months. I have decided to end that marriage. My question is is this a good case for Annulment. I do not want to file for Divorce.

Thank you, in advance.
Darrow
After 25 years of marriage there is no judge that is going to grant you an annulment....it just isn't going to happen. Get a consult with an attorney to verify what I am saying...but please give up that idea.

Did a DNA test take place that proves you are not the father to your 24-25 year old child? If so, you don't actually know that.

rmet4nzkx

dwash572001 said:
rmet4nzkx
Thanks for your reply. In my research of Annulment I found that certain conditions must exist. In my situation I believe Fraud and Consealment apply. I realize that it was along time ago that this happened however I just found out 4 years ago. I went through the classic symptons of shock, denial etc. I am just now to a point that I can deal with it with any objectivity.

Yes I raised the child as my own because I was lead to believe she was my own.
For all you both knew it was your child and you are the only father she has known. Have your feelings towanrd YOUR child changed? She is yours in every way but biological.

The law talks about concelement of things like impotence or STD's not pregnancy. You knew she was pregnant, 25 years ago there wasn't a DNA test. Hurting her now isn't going to change the past or restore what might have been. If you didn't want to be in the marriage you could have left long ago, something kept you in the marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">