• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marital Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rcge

What is the name of your state? Maryland My husband purchased an automobile with the money we received from our joint marital refund check this year. After he purchased it, he went behind my back one evening after work and put only his name on the title. About 2 months later it had ended up getting towed for him parking it in a towaway zone and I only had my learners permit at the time so I could not move it and he was incarcerated. His aunt and uncle paid the fee and got it out but kept it at their house until I had finished driving school and got my drivers license. The only catch is, is that my husband had "supposedly" written a statement saying that he was signing the rights of the vehicle over to his aunt and uncle, because that was the only was the towing place would let them have it since their names were not on the title. Now they say if I want the title I have to reimburse them for the amount they paid to get it towed out. And also my husband is now out of jail, living with them, and threatening to take the van away. We have 3 children together whom I have custody of and I need it more than he does. So my questions are

1. Is it marital property even though he never put my name on the title even though it was purchased after we were married?

2. If it is marital property, then are they able to tale the van away from me if I never signed the rights over to them with my husband?

3. Do I have to pay them anything for them getting it out of the towing place?
I would greatly appreciate an answer, thank-you

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">