• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First time speeding :(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ames905

What is the name of your state?
New York

Hi, my name is Amy, and I just received a speeding ticket. I live in westchester and I got it on the taconic right near the saw mill parkway exit. I do not know what to do, since this is my first ticket. I was going 79 in a 55, and the state trooper gave me 2 sheets of paper - one was the ticket and the other was a supportive deposition? All I have been told was to plead not guilty (by a friend). I was wondering if there was anyting i could do that would be best for me. Thanks.

Amy

qcxlvr1

ames905 said:
What is the name of your state?
New York

Hi, my name is Amy, and I just received a speeding ticket. I live in westchester and I got it on the taconic right near the saw mill parkway exit. I do not know what to do, since this is my first ticket. I was going 79 in a 55, and the state trooper gave me 2 sheets of paper - one was the ticket and the other was a supportive deposition? All I have been told was to plead not guilty (by a friend). I was wondering if there was anyting i could do that would be best for me. Thanks.

Amy
They're issuing the supporting depositions now automatically on their computer program. If you have a decent license history, you might be able to plea this down to an 1110(a) fail to observe traffic control device for 2 points. If you have an attorney, he or she may be able to get you no points--IE equipment violation. Either way, do not plead guilty. Work out some sort of plea.

ames905

qcxlvr1 said:
They're issuing the supporting depositions now automatically on their computer program. If you have a decent license history, you might be able to plea this down to an 1110(a) fail to observe traffic control device for 2 points. If you have an attorney, he or she may be able to get you no points--IE equipment violation. Either way, do not plead guilty. Work out some sort of plea.
Thank you qc for the advice; unfortunately, I didn't keep my mouth closed during my pull-over and the state trooper asked me how fast I was going and I said "I don't know, maybe 70, 75, but i don't know" and he wrote down on the supporting deposition that I said I was going 70, 75 mph. I honestly was just guessing bcause I had been in back of 4 other cars who were doing the same speed, so I wasn't paying attention to my speedometer. In terms of my license history, I got a non-moving violation more than a year ago, but that's it. Would an attorney still be able to benefit me? I'm sorry I am so clueless about this - you guys probably get millions of questions about this daily. THanks for your help though, it means a lot!

qcxlvr1

ames905 said:
Thank you qc for the advice; unfortunately, I didn't keep my mouth closed during my pull-over and the state trooper asked me how fast I was going and I said "I don't know, maybe 70, 75, but i don't know" and he wrote down on the supporting deposition that I said I was going 70, 75 mph. I honestly was just guessing bcause I had been in back of 4 other cars who were doing the same speed, so I wasn't paying attention to my speedometer. In terms of my license history, I got a non-moving violation more than a year ago, but that's it. Would an attorney still be able to benefit me? I'm sorry I am so clueless about this - you guys probably get millions of questions about this daily. THanks for your help though, it means a lot!
I wouldn't worry about the statement on the 710.30 statement, but an attorney would get you the absolute best type of plea arrangement. 79 in a 55 is worth 6 points which would not only most likely interfere with your insurance but also put you in the new DMV category for driver improvement and fine you for 3 years just to keep your license.

I'm relatively certain that if you went without an attorney you would either get something like failure to yield for 3 points or fail to observe traffic control device for 2 points--an attorney has the best chance to get you no points, but pick an attorney that does this for a living--he or she will know the judge and the prosecutor in the court.

ames905

Hi again

Thanks for your help so far qcx, you have been the most knowledgeable person I have talked to about this. I am confused about what to do; should I go to the date written on the ticket? Or should I plead not guilty and get ANOTHER court date? Or should I post pone the court date or something like that? What would be my best bet. The exact conditions at the time of the ticket were that: I was following 4 other cars in front of me and they all slowed down and so did I, but the trooper decided to pull me over instead of them; also I was in the middle lane, I was not passing anyone, and I really did not have a clue how fast I was going. Would that be fine to tell the judge, or should I phrase it differently? Thanks

Last edited:

qcxlvr1

ames905 said:
Thanks for your help so far qcx, you have been the most knowledgeable person I have talked to about this. I am confused about what to do; should I go to the date written on the ticket? Or should I plead not guilty and get ANOTHER court date? Or should I post pone the court date or something like that? What would be my best bet. The exact conditions at the time of the ticket were that: I was following 4 other cars in front of me and they all slowed down and so did I, but the trooper decided to pull me over instead of them; also I was in the middle lane, I was not passing anyone, and I really did not have a clue how fast I was going. Would that be fine to tell the judge, or should I phrase it differently? Thanks
Well, if you mail the ticket in marked "not guilty" that will adjourn the date on the front and you will be mailed a new date. You can also appear on the date on the face of the ticket. Either way, that ticket must be answered prior to or on the date on the face of that ticket.

I haven't seen your ticket, but the officer could have gotten the exact speed of your car with laser, of if it was radar, if your car entered the zone of influence, it is possible to ascertain the speed as well.

Because 79 in a 55 is 6 points, I am not sure if you will be able to get out of all points without an attorney. A good traffic attorney could get you the plea, but a regular person with a decent record would probably be offered the standard 2 point 1110(a)-fail to observe traffic control device.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">