• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissolution of a foreign marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pitani

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have two questions regarding my marriage:

First, I married my foreign husband in a foreign country(not his country).

1. Can we obtain a divorce in my home state even though the marriage was in another country?

2. Can his green card be taken away, if the marriage was fraudulent on his side, meaning, he married me to get a green card and I didn't know this until after he recieved it.

LdiJ

pitani said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have two questions regarding my marriage:

First, I married my foreign husband in a foreign country(not his country).

1. Can we obtain a divorce in my home state even though the marriage was in another country?

2. Can his green card be taken away, if the marriage was fraudulent on his side, meaning, he married me to get a green card and I didn't know this until after he recieved it.
1) Yes, 2) Maybe - but think that one through very carefully before you act.

pitani

RE: Dissolution of Foreign Marriage

Missouri:

Thanks for responding. You stated that I needed to think the second one (remove green card privilege) through very carefully. May I ask why?

LdiJ

pitani said:
Missouri:

Thanks for responding. You stated that I needed to think the second one (remove green card privilege) through very carefully. May I ask why?
First...its a really hostile, vengeful thing to do. Second, if there are children you have to balance their needs for both parents in their lives. Third, you may suspect that he married you for the green card...or he may have even said that in a moment of anger...but if it isn't really true, and the two of you somehow reconcile down the road you may regret it..

In other words...once you involve the INS in your breakup, you can't really take it back....so be 100% certain that is what you want before you do it....don't let emotion rule.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">