• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissolution and Med bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Les Paul

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hey everyone,
I live in Florida, and my wife and I were separated and right when we got back together there was an accident that made her end up in the Hospital. Well she has no job and no Insurance. The med bills are throught the roof to where there is no way we can pay. We did apply for medicaid, looks like turn down, we applied for Shands Financial asst. looks like turn down. I'm not rich but make slightly over what make me able to get financial aid, My wife is disabled now and can't work and I know I can not pay 150 grand for the bill.
Here's the question....If we divorce (a quick and simple dissolution of marriage, to at least save my perfect credit) will I still be laible for her bills? At least if we let her credit go bad mine won't be scarred. The financial aid person said she could get aid if we were not married, so we asked here if we should get divorced and she said she could get help then. The simple fact of the matter is we can NOT afford a bill for 150 grand...so what can we do? I'm new to this and we don't know the laws and need help.......HELP!
If anybody knows the law or can direct me in the direction I need I would greatly appreciate it..

Thanks so much

LdiJ

Les Paul said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

Hey everyone,
I live in Florida, and my wife and I were separated and right when we got back together there was an accident that made her end up in the Hospital. Well she has no job and no Insurance. The med bills are throught the roof to where there is no way we can pay. We did apply for medicaid, looks like turn down, we applied for Shands Financial asst. looks like turn down. I'm not rich but make slightly over what make me able to get financial aid, My wife is disabled now and can't work and I know I can not pay 150 grand for the bill.
Here's the question....If we divorce (a quick and simple dissolution of marriage, to at least save my perfect credit) will I still be laible for her bills? At least if we let her credit go bad mine won't be scarred. The financial aid person said she could get aid if we were not married, so we asked here if we should get divorced and she said she could get help then. The simple fact of the matter is we can NOT afford a bill for 150 grand...so what can we do? I'm new to this and we don't know the laws and need help.......HELP!
If anybody knows the law or can direct me in the direction I need I would greatly appreciate it..

Thanks so much
Did you sign any paper work at all at the hospital? Think carefully...because if you did you may be on the hook no matter what. Due to the amount of money involved, its best that you consult with an attorney on this one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">