• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nickola

New York
I got a speeding ticket last night on 365 heading towards Oneida. The sherriff said I was doing 76 in a 55. I was going downhill and I honestly dont believe I was doing 76, because the sherriff had time to getin his car and pull me over in about 500 feet. Anyways I didnt ask to see the radar because I was really nervous and I have never been pulled over before for anything. I am going to go to court and plead not guilty. What are my chances of the sherriff not being there? And what should i say if he is there? What will happen? Also what happened to the police letting you off usually when u have a clean driving record? Or giving u a fine for something. Also I couldnt find my registration so is that gonna get me in more trouble? Please someone help!!!

Curt581

Nickola said:
I got a speeding ticket last night on 365 heading towards Oneida. The sherriff said I was doing 76 in a 55. I was going downhill and I honestly dont believe I was doing 76, because the sherriff had time to getin his car and pull me over in about 500 feet. Anyways I didnt ask to see the radar because I was really nervous and I have never been pulled over before for anything.
You do not have a "right" to see the radar. You wouldn't know what you were looking at even if he did let you see it.
I am going to go to court and plead not guilty. What are my chances of the sherriff not being there?
50/50. Either he'll be there, or he won't.
And what should i say if he is there?
I don't know. What do you want to say?
What will happen?
We can't realistically answer that question. Talk to an attorney in the area you were cited.
Also what happened to the police letting you off usually when you have a clean driving record?
There has never been any requirement to let anyone with a clear record 'off '. If that were the case, no one would ever get a ticket. The police have discretion to cite, or not cite.
Or giving u a fine for something. Also I couldnt find my registration so is that gonna get me in more trouble?
If you weren't cited at the time for not having your registration slip with you, chances are nothing will happen in that regard.

If you plan to plead Not Guilty, I strongly suggest having a preplanned, well thought-out, plausible defense. Do not rely solely on the belief that the officer won't appear.

If you have no reasonable defense, I suggest going to court and asking the prosecutor for a reduction, in exchange for a No Contest plea.

lwpat

New York Speeding Ticket

I am going to go to court and plead not guilty.
You are supposed to enter a plea by marking the back of the ticket and sending it in within 48 hours. If you plead not guilty then they will notify you of your trial date. There are numerous threads on NY speeding tickets so do a search.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">