• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

significant other moving in.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindadetota

What is the name of your state? New York

My separation agreement states that spousal support/maintenance will be paid until reaching 5/1/2011 or the death of either party, whichever comes first.

Can my ex petition the courts to stop paying maintenence if my boyfriend moves in with me? Can he legally do this and will I love the spousal maintence if the boyfriend moves in? Thanks.

djohnson

It depends on your order. It doesn't seem so with what you have stated here. Chances are this was ordered as a set off for something else that went his way. It is only for a certain amt of time and doesn't specify about a roommate or remarriage. I would ask my attorney to be sure.

LdiJ

djohnson said:
It depends on your order. It doesn't seem so with what you have stated here. Chances are this was ordered as a set off for something else that went his way. It is only for a certain amt of time and doesn't specify about a roommate or remarriage. I would ask my attorney to be sure.
I agree...your paperwork doesn't mention any clauses regarding co-habitation so logic would say that it isn't an issue for you. However it would be far wiser to run it by your attorney first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">