• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pending License Suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgarden

What is the name of your state? - Colorado

I had a great driving record for more than 3 years (one ticket prior to 3 year span) and all of a sudden starting last April I seem to have hit a strain of bad luck in my driving habits.

April 2004 - 2pt speeding
May 2004 - 2pt speeding
July 2004 - 3pt speeding
Sept 2004 - 2pt speeding
Feb 2005 - 4pt speeding
Total - 13 pts in 12 month period

All tickets were paid within the 20 day period to get a lowered point assessed and to avoid court fees with the exception of 2. With those 2 I simply missed the 20 day period and had to take my ticket and payment in.

The May 2004 ticket I wanted to plead not-guilty to because I was pretty sure I was not the one that was gunned by radar. I wasn't even able to see the officer due to driving in the right-hand lane (he was in the left median) and there were 2 cars between myself and the officer. I was driving a friend of the families Cadillac Escalade and I feel I was picked out of a crowd due to the officers attitude towards me.

The Feb 2005 ticket I also wanted to fight but couldn't prove my innocence well enough to feel I would get it thrown out. I was driving in a 45mph zone that crests a hill, dips down, plateaus and dips down again. At the second dip in the road is a school zone. I am very aware of it's location and when the lights are flashing, I always slow down (I have kids, I would hope that others would do the same around their school as well). As soon as I crested the first hill I was doing 49mph. Ok, 4 over, I'll admit that. But when I got to the bottom of the hill (after slowing down for the school zone) an officer walked out from behind some bushes where there was a 5 officer speed trap. He said he clocked me doing 49 in a school zone as I created the hill. I was a bit rattled and not really able to argue my case. The school zone lights are at least 200-300 feet from the location he said he clocked me at. So doing 49 in a supposed 25mph school zone wasn't want I was doing, I was still in the 45mph zone.

To make a short story long....

Yesterday I received a notice in the mail saying I had a pending license suspension. I have a wife that's due with our second child in 4 weeks and I've been VERY aware of my driving since Feb. Is there *anything* that I can do to keep from getting my license suspended at all? I have already called the department the letter was from and setup a hearing to try to get a red license (I guess that's what's happening) and they postponed my hearing till the week after my wife is due (11 days after the date my license was supposed to be suspended on).

Sorry this is so long, I'm a bit worried about what's going to happen and I really need some advice here.

Thanks!

Last edited:

sgarden

lwpat said:
The time for advice was over a long time ago.
Yeah, great, thanks for the thoughtful insight.

How about someone that might have an idea of what I should expect in the hearing chime in? I'm not looking for a way around the system (if there is one I am of course all ears) but rather how to minimize the impact. I have no problem facing the consequences, but I want to go into it educated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">