• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got a ticket for not merging before the "right lane must exit" sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jstempi

What is the name of your state? California

CHP wrote me a ticket for not obeying a traffic sign. The sign was one that says “right lane must exit” on the freeway. I was in the right lane marked with dashed lines that turns into an offramp. Once you get to the offramp there’s the sign that say you must exit; however, I merged onto the freeway prior to the sign. I did not see the sign, however, I know I merged before it because I merged while the lane marking was dashed…at the sign, the lane marking becomes solid. The officer admitted he was not paying attention to the lane markings but saw me past the sign; however, the CHP was two cars behind me and a good 100 yards back and likely could not tell if I had passed the sign. FWIW, the CHP asked me if I saw him pull right behind me a ways back. I responded by saying no and that he was not directly behind me since there was a dark compact car that was directly behind me. This car merged in earlier than I did (which is why the officer was so far back and likely couldn’t see where I merged in in comparison to the sign). He initially denied there was another car but then said “you know what, there was another car in between us.”

Also, as a side note, it appears that the solid line starts before the sign, which means the markings could be marked incorrectly or that the sign is posted in the wrong place. Also, since I merged in before the solid line, it is further evidence that I made it in before the sign and that the officer was mistaken in his visual judgement since he was so far back when I actually merged.

Do I have any chance at winning this case assuming the officer shows up?

jstempi

I just found out that the sign is actually posted while the lane markings are still dashed. Any thoughts?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">