• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maintenance woes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmb57

What is the name of your state? NY
Married 19 years wife claims she cant get a job. She worked 15 years ago in commodities, made 40k, I wanted her to work after kids got old enough. She didnt. She had a job 3 years ago making $14 AN HOUR. Had a job 2 years ago making 50k for 9 months (slept with her boss). Got another job after that for 52k, lasted 3 weeks, and quit because she didnt like her boss. All during this time she got her degree as an esthetician, I set up a spa for her to work in in the house, she could make $50 an hour doing facials, never applied herself to make it happen. Now she wants CS plus $500 a month for maintenance. I am trying to mediate this case. What could she reasonable get (if anything)and for how long, if we go to seperate lawyers?
Thanks for info!!!

LdiJ

kmb57 said:
What is the name of your state? NY
Married 19 years wife claims she cant get a job. She worked 15 years ago in commodities, made 40k, I wanted her to work after kids got old enough. She didnt. She had a job 3 years ago making $14 AN HOUR. Had a job 2 years ago making 50k for 9 months (slept with her boss). Got another job after that for 52k, lasted 3 weeks, and quit because she didnt like her boss. All during this time she got her degree as an esthetician, I set up a spa for her to work in in the house, she could make $50 an hour doing facials, never applied herself to make it happen. Now she wants CS plus $500 a month for maintenance. I am trying to mediate this case. What could she reasonable get (if anything)and for how long, if we go to seperate lawyers?
Thanks for info!!!
Realistically, with a 19 year marriage and her not working I think you are looking at paying maintenance. The question is, how much, and for how long? All of that depends on a ton of details that you haven't given....and in all reality a consult with a local attorney would give you much better answers.

dallas702

Kiss your Porsche goodbye. You're looking at "equalized" income. If you make $100K, and the judge thinks she can make $50K, you'll pay her $25K plus CS for 3-5 years (or until the kids are out). If the judge thinks she can't support herself beyond $30K kiss your golf clubs and membership goodbye. The less she convinces the judge she can do, the more you pay. Get ready to bend over. Get a good attorney.

No, get a ruthless attorney.

Or, you could keep the kids yourself if you tried.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">