• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

misspelled name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mercxi

What is the name of your state?NY
the cop misspelled my last name on a ticket, he forgot to put an i at the end of it, does this get me out of a ticket?

qcxlvr1

mercxi said:
the cop misspelled my last name on a ticket, he forgot to put an i at the end of it, does this get me out of a ticket?
Absolutely not. Nice try though.

Plead not guilty and try to obtain a plea arrangement.

lawyer

I don't know NY law, it's probably available on line. In Ohio, you can make an objection before your plea based on defect in the citation.

The state will then most likely move to ammend the ticket. If they do that, you may be able to object if they don't follow the exact procedure for ammending a ticket. In Ohio, you are supposed to be properly served with a new citation - you may be able to object on that grounds if they don't do that.

Look up the code in regard to ammending a citation. Post here if you find anything useful.

panzertanker

mercxi said:
No, it just means:
1. your name sure is spelled funny.
2. you are trying to shirk your responsibility on a technicality.

Way to go!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">