• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandonment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jodie123

What is the name of your state? NV

Are there any rules of abandonment in NV??

My husband left me -- with no word, discussion, or hint of leaving -- and now wants to claim 50% of household furnishings, my pension, etc. We have no children -- it is a second marriage for both of us.

Is abandonment an issue or fault??

LdiJ

jodie123 said:
What is the name of your state? NV

Are there any rules of abandonment in NV??

My husband left me -- with no word, discussion, or hint of leaving -- and now wants to claim 50% of household furnishings, my pension, etc. We have no children -- it is a second marriage for both of us.

Is abandonment an issue or fault??
How long were you married?
How long was he gone before he tried to make these claims?

Please give us more details.

nextwife

And how much of those assets were PREmarrital? For example: If 40% of total funds in your retirement account were premarital, that 40% surely is not a marital asset.

dallas702

NV is a "no fault" state so it doesn't matter why he left, or that he even left at all. If you want to file for divorce, do it. He'll get 50% of your marital assets (anything acquired during the marriage or comingled from prior assets). I don't think he has a prayer of getting 50% of your pension unless he has relied on your support for at least 10 years, and cannot support himself. Most of the judges will laugh at such a suggestion. NV is also a community property state with spousal support rules that seek to equalize income. How long were you married, did he work, is he disabled, etc.?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">