• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eluding Police Question (Stolen Vehicle)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mattm951

What is the name of your state? Ca.....Okay, my sister's friend was wondering about this because this is what happend to her boyfriend:

Apparently he was picked up by his friend who was driving a stolen vehicle. He was unaware of it being stolen because he asked his friend "who's car is this". His friend responded that his grandma recently bought it. There were 2 other friends in the car as well. Well eventually they got pulled over and the cops ran the plates and either the driver told them (the passengers)before the cop approached the vehicle that the car was stolen or the cop actually told the driver that the car was stolen and asked him to step out of the vehicle. In either case, all the people in the car ran from the car and tried to elude police. My sister's friend's boyfriend got away but the others got caught. The next day, the cops came to his house and took him in. What could be the possible charges against him? My sister's friend believes that the other friends which were all cousins by the way snitched on her boyfriend and told the cops that he was driving so I believe that they all ran before the cop actually approached the car so I'm guessing the driver told him and his friends the car was stolen and then they all ran out. What could happen to her boyfriend? She is really worried about him, she hasn't spoke to him in days. Thanks for reading this and any feedback is well appreciated.

-MATT

lawyer

Dude....

Your sister's boyfriend (did I read that correctly?) is facing some real trouble. It sounds like he hangs around with very questionable folks, and I'm not really buying that he didn't know the car was stolen. My advice would be to hire a lawyer, try to make the best deal he can, serve his time and then get new friends.

mattm951

yeah man i'm not sure if he didn't or did know that it was stolen. But, don't you think if his friends accused him of being the driver they would run prints on the steering wheel and door handles to prove that it wasn't him driving? I think that could be done if it's a smooth enough surface. Yeah it's my sister friend's boyfriend lol just to clear that up. He has a lawyer and his dad is a cop, so I guess that's a plus for him. We'll see what happens. Anymore feedback on this topic is appreciated. Thanks. Bye.

TYRIS

yeah man i'm not sure if he didn't or did know that it was stolen.
-If he was arrested it was probably for 10851 CVC. If the other occupants identified him as the driver then it's his word against theirs. Usually only the driver of a stolen vehicle is charged, not the passengers.

But, don't you think if his friends accused him of being the driver they would run prints on the steering wheel and door handles to prove that it wasn't him driving? I think that could be done if it's a smooth enough surface.

Getting latent fingerprints from a steering wheel and door handles is not always as easy as it sounds. I blame this on the CSI shows on television (they're fun to watch but crap in reality). HAlf the time if they do get prints they are smudged and unusable or partials. That is if the Officers actually dusted the vehicle for latent prints.

Tyris

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">