• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation of Character

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

njs_05

What is the name of your state? California

I was recently served with a civil lawsuit for defamation of character. The claim stems from a flyer that was passed out in my neighborhood stating that the plaintiff "IS A CRIMINAL". The flyer also had a picture of the plaintiff on it and stated they were responsible for recent vandalism in the area. Everyone in the neighborhood knew the plaintiff was guilty of these vandalisms, but the police could not pin anything on them. Now, almost one year later I am being sued for the creation and distribution of these flyers and the subsequent repercussions. The flyers do not have any personal contact information and the pictures do not suggest that I was responsible for their creation. However, my history with the plaintiff would certainly suggest that I was responsible for the flyers. I ran a background on the plaintiff and found out that they have been arrested 13 times for vandalism and disturbing the peace. I believe that they are looking for a handout - a price to make them go away. I do not have the means to accomodate that option, and principal alone would keep from doing it. Regardless, they have a fairly solid piece of evidence that may prove to be damaging. I need to respond to this within 30 days and I would greatly appreciate any insight into the matter. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

njs_05 said:

I was recently served with a civil lawsuit for defamation of character. The claim stems from a flyer that was passed out in my neighborhood stating that the plaintiff "IS A CRIMINAL". The flyer also had a picture of the plaintiff on it and stated they were responsible for recent vandalism in the area. Everyone in the neighborhood knew the plaintiff was guilty of these vandalisms, but the police could not pin anything on them. Now, almost one year later I am being sued for the creation and distribution of these flyers and the subsequent repercussions. The flyers do not have any personal contact information and the pictures do not suggest that I was responsible for their creation. However, my history with the plaintiff would certainly suggest that I was responsible for the flyers. I ran a background on the plaintiff and found out that they have been arrested 13 times for vandalism and disturbing the peace. I believe that they are looking for a handout - a price to make them go away. I do not have the means to accomodate that option, and principal alone would keep from doing it. Regardless, they have a fairly solid piece of evidence that may prove to be damaging. I need to respond to this within 30 days and I would greatly appreciate any insight into the matter. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

My response:

Insight? You want insight? Okay, here's your insight - - you're screwed, blued, and tattooed.

IAAL

Shay-Pari'e

njs_05 said:

I was recently served with a civil lawsuit for defamation of character. The claim stems from a flyer that was passed out in my neighborhood stating that the plaintiff "IS A CRIMINAL". The flyer also had a picture of the plaintiff on it and stated they were responsible for recent vandalism in the area. What on earth made you think this was legal? You have no proof this man was responsible, had you had proof, one would think you would call the police with such important info.

Everyone in the neighborhood knew the plaintiff was guilty of these vandalisms, No they didn't. They suspected this person. You have not stated once how anyone observed this person and the police could not pin anything on them.

Now, almost one year later I am being sued for the creation and distribution of these flyers and the subsequent repercussions. The flyers do not have any personal contact information and the pictures do not suggest that I was responsible for their creation. However, my history with the plaintiff would certainly suggest that I was responsible for the flyers. I ran a background on the plaintiff Why would you do that? You have no clue who did this, you are just assuming.

and found out that they have been arrested 13 times for vandalism and disturbing the peace. I believe that they are looking for a handout - a price to make them go away. OH! I see, so now they are black mailing you?

I do not have the means to accomodate that option, and principal alone would keep from doing it. Regardless, they have a fairly solid piece of evidence that may prove to be damaging. I need to respond to this within 30 days and I would greatly appreciate any insight into the matter. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
Respond to it, and stop invading others personal space.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">