• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Looking to get a d.b.a.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sara3105

What is the name of your state?I am a permanent resident of New York State and I've started a business venture with someone in Arlington, VA. We've been primarily working from Arlington, VA on our business which involves editing sports highlight videos and traveling around to different sports camps/events creating highlight DVDs. I'd like to keep this business as my own sole proprietorship.

Do I file a d.b.a. in New York because that is where my permanent residence is? And, if so, do I list the Arlington, VA address as the address where the business operates?

OR, do I file a d.b.a. in Arlington and list my New York address as my permanent address?

I have been told something different by every person, state, or county clerk that I've discussed this with.

The Arlington County Clerk even started telling me that I would need to register the business before I could even get a d.b.a.

I'd really appreciate some guidance. Thanks

JETX

Sara3105 said:
Do I file a d.b.a. in New York because that is where my permanent residence is? And, if so, do I list the Arlington, VA address as the address where the business operates?
Why not d/b/a both since they are in different county's and states??

OR, do I file a d.b.a. in Arlington and list my New York address as my permanent address?
See above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">