• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is soon to be ex-wife entitle to my new apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

louvic9096

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

When we seperated my ex wife left me with our co-op apartment. I since move into a new co-op apartment in the same development. In her divorce she is seeking my new apartment. My question is, can she try and get this new apartment that we never shared.

Thanks

LdiJ

louvic9096 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

When we seperated my ex wife left me with our co-op apartment. I since move into a new co-op apartment in the same development. In her divorce she is seeking my new apartment. My question is, can she try and get this new apartment that we never shared.

Thanks
If you used marital property to purchase the co-op....specifically the proceeds from the previous co-op, then yes, she probably can.

louvic9096

New York

Thanks for your reply Ldij. I should have given more information. I live in a Mitchell-Lama type of co-op which is federally funded. There was no money exchange in my previous apartment. For the new apartment that I moved in I took a loan from work to pay the difference in the equity from the old to new apartment. Again thanks for your response.

LdiJ

louvic9096 said:
New York

Thanks for your reply Ldij. I should have given more information. I live in a Mitchell-Lama type of co-op which is federally funded. There was no money exchange in my previous apartment. For the new apartment that I moved in I took a loan from work to pay the difference in the equity from the old to new apartment. Again thanks for your response.
Ok...then you used the equity in the old apartment (of which at least some was marital property) as part of the payment for the new apartment. Therefore yes, she would probably have a claim on some of the equity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">