• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grounds for an anullment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gotmusiq

What is the name of your state? CA

My husband and I were together 7 yrs before we got married in Jan 05. He now wants to file for an anullment. We both consented to the marriage. What are the actual grounds for an anullment in California.

rmet4nzkx

Nullity: A nullity case is more commonly known as an annulment of marriage. This can only be requested based on one of reasons listed below.

If you are seeking a nullity of marriage, you will need to prove in a court hearing that your marriage satisfies one of the grounds listed below. These must have applied at the time you and your spouse married:

* Bigamy: bigamy means a spouse was knowingly married to another living person at the time of marriage.
* Force: force means threats or acts of harm were used to force one spouse into the marriage.
* Fraud: fraud means deception regarding a significant matter that led to the marriage and continued until the breakup.
* Incapacity: incapacity means a spouse was and continues to be physically unable to consummate the marriage.
* Incest: incest means the spouses are close blood relatives.
* Prior Existing Marriage: prior existing marriage means a spouse married on the mistaken belief that his or her previous marriage had ended in the death of the other spouse, who in fact was still living.
* Underage: underage means a spouse was below age 18 years at the time of marriage and did not obtain parental consent or a court order permitting the marriage.
* Unsound Mind: unsound mind means a spouse could not and has not formed the intent to marry due to a mental condition.

rmet4nzkx

gotmusiq said:
If my husband and I dont fall under these grounds he cannot file the paperwork correct.
He can file, but it won't be granted. He has to PROVE the grounds, breviety of marriage is not grounds. Also, Annulment doesn't negate settlement options, so if he is trying to gain finacially, get thee to an attorney post haste because you may also be eligible for "palimony" as well. You might want to look the up this thread.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=59104&highlight=palimony+marvin

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">