• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First speeding ticket...going 50/30

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BigBoiA

I live in Schenectady, NY and thats where I got the ticket. I'm 17, male (I know the stereotypes...guys drive faster) It was 1:15am when I got pulled over. I was heading on the highway so I assumed that the speed limit was 40 since it was on the way to the highway..I guess I was wrong. I got pulled over and the cop said I was going 50/30. I'm really not a bad driver this was just a mistake. I'm wondering if I should plead guilty or not. I'm looking into hiring a lawyer for a couple hundred $ and going to court to fight it (to get it reduced to a smaller violation) because I dont want points on my record or for my insurance to go up or for the ticket to be on my record. Can I get some advice on what to do? This is my first ticket so I have no idea what to do.

BigBoiA

Ok I filled out the ticket pleading not guilty. Now I have to get the court date and everything. Do you think it would be a good idea to go with the lawyer? If I go with the lawyer I might not even have to go to court. Either I'm going to represent myself and tell my story or hire the lawyer for $200 and let him take care of it. What do you think?

Judge will be unlikely to have much sympathy for someone your age but if you represent yourself well you might have a shot.

Lawyer is your best bet and a lot less stress.

If you like/need to drive, you do not want to be caught again.

BigBoiA

Yea once I find out the court day I think I'm going to go with a lawyer. I already have my case planned out even though the court day wont be for a while. I dont care about paying the ticket...its just that I'm 17 and on my moms insurance, so when I go and get my own insurance I dont want that ticket to be on my record. I'd rather get the ticket reduced and pay it that way its not on my record. Anyway I got a couple arguments. 1)He wrote on the ticket that he pulled me over a street, when really he pulled me over after I turned onto the highway 2)I was accerlerating to go turn onto the highway 3)I know I wasnt going 50...I would guess anywhere from 40-43 or 44 (and again only because I thought to pick up speed before getting on the highway). Think with those arguments I could get the ticket reduced?

Slim chance any of that will matter, go the lawyer route if this is the best you can come up with ;) Judges hear nothing but excuses.

You'd have a much better chance being honest, taking responsibility (you adimited you were speeding) being apologetic, saying you learned your lesson and will be much more careful.

To go this route, you need to get your head in a state where you mean it. Judges read people very well and can spot a phony a mile away.

Last edited:

BigBoiA

Yea I'll go with the lawyer. I just want to pay the fine and not have it on my record...and if that means getting a lawyer and going to court then thats whats gonna happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">