• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I liable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fkbsar

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I left an abusive marriage in 1995 and moved to Indiana from Pennsylvania. I have had no contact with my husband since that day in Sept. of 1995. He is currently incarcerated in PA for murder for quite a long time. While searching the PA court site I found: IRS vs. ...... under his name and his name only. I want to buy a house here in Indiana. Am I liable for this debt?

LdiJ

fkbsar said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

I left an abusive marriage in 1995 and moved to Indiana from Pennsylvania. I have had no contact with my husband since that day in Sept. of 1995. He is currently incarcerated in PA for murder for quite a long time. While searching the PA court site I found: IRS vs. ...... under his name and his name only. I want to buy a house here in Indiana. Am I liable for this debt?
Unfortunately citations for tax case law typically only show the first party. If there is a spouse attached to the case you have to see the entire case to know that. If you saw the entire case, and you weren't married to him for the tax year in question...or did not file a joint return with him, then odds are you have nothing to worry about.

If you want to send me a private message I have the means of researching it for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">