• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forming new LLC questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

firstbiz

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I'm starting a small service business.

(It's an attorney service - doing court filings, service of process, courier work, etc, for attorneys, and for other similar services, and for the general public. I have experience in the field, working for someone else.)

There is some potential for liability, so I think I should (and have been advised to) form an an LLC.

Cash is a serious problem - I don't have much. The business itself doesn't require much investment, so I think I'm okay there, but I'm looking to save money wherever I can until the ball starts rolling. I'm pretty clever, so I'm considering forming the LLC myself, without spending $1000 or more for an expert. But I'm also clever enough to know that that might be an expensive way to "save" money.

factoids:
* I intend to be the sole "partner". (Or it could be my wife and me, if there's some requirement or advantage).
* I will be, at least in the beginning, the sole employee - but I will sometimes need to use sub-contractors locally and nationwide.
* I intend to carry plenty of insurance.
* I'm mainly concerned about protecting our home from liability issues.
* This is my first entrepeneurial enterprise. I know the front-end of my business, but I have no experience in "business" itself.
* I am somewhat familiar with legalese, and willing to learn more, and I'm not intimidated by forms and rules - but I'm definitely NOT a lawyer.
* I believe the liabilty risk is mostly errors & omissions, rather than other risks (premises liability, product liabilty, breach of contract, fraud, etc.). My clients are notoriously litigious!
=)
* I believe the probability of being sued is not that great - but I could _potentially_ be sued for millions, if I check the wrong box on a legal document, and ruin someone's multi-million dollar case!

I have done a LOT of reading, and answered all the easy questions. But I have several unanswered questions:

1. Am I crazy? Should I do this myself?

2. The forms are simple enough - I could complete the forms, for free, in 30 minutes, and file tomorrow for $85. Is there anything NOT obvious that I should know? Any particular text that should, or should NOT, be included in the filing, or operating agreement, etc?

3. What the heck sense is there in an operating *agreement* that I make with *myself*?

4. I know an LLC isn't necessarily bullet-proof. What can I do to make sure it's "done right"? What can I do, beyond the basics, to further protect myself?

5. I'm considering putting this off until maybe January 1st, 2006 - but I am advised to do it immediately to reduce liability.

6. What else do I need to know?

7. I think I'm sold on an LLC - but is there maybe a better idea?

Whew! Lots of questions.

Thanks in advance,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">