• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of State ticket-Louisiana/Alabama

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chaseua

What is the name of your state? I am from Alabama, however I was pulled over in Louisiana over two years ago and recieved a whopping $750 worth of tickets in one traffic stop. Louisiana charges a lot for tickets, I got one for speeding, one for careless operator (I was going 85 in a 60), and one for no seat belt restraints. I am a struggling college student with no funds to pay for this. I decided to let it ride and about 9-10 months ago I recieved a notice from the Lousiana DOT stating that I owed the money, and a cotempt fee of $100 for not paying the fee in time. I then wrote them back asking if I could set up a payment plan with them. I recieved no response about my request for a payment plan, but today I recieved a notice stating they were:

1) Drivers License Information has been sent to the State for License Suspension.

2) Your records will be sent to our warrant division for additional collection action.

My question is this, will this affect me in Alabama? If I do not go back to Louisiana before I pay the fines, will I get arrested if I am pulled over in Alabama? Any help info is greatly appreciated. I really cannot afford to pay the whole thing right now, so I need some help in figuring out how to resolve it.

Labtec600

Sounds like your license is going to be suspended.

Also sounds like you'll be getting a warrant, something like failure to pay fines or failure to appear in court. Whatever one.

Arrested? Well I'm not positive about the laws there in Alabama, but probably first time caught with a suspended license will be a ticket, plus an extension of the suspension. Second time, you're off to jail.

As far as the warrant, there will probably be a pick up range for it. Say 50 miles. So if you're pulled over within 50 miles of wherever the warrant is from, you're off to jail.

If you're pulled over outside the 50 mile range, I believe you will have to pay the bond of whatever the warrant is set at. If you dont have that, I believe you're off to jail.

And also, if your license is suspended and you have a warrant for your arrest, you dont have to be pulled over for the officer/trooper to discover it. All they have to do is run your plate and your SOL.

Not sure if I'm 100% correct on all that, but I'm pretty sure I ballparked it.

chaseua

Anyone else with any other opinions/knowledge on this matter? I just got that note about a week ago, and actually as luck would have it, got my license ran last night and nothing came back. Maybe it hasn't been processed yet by the AL DMV? Thanks in advance, Chase

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">