• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-solicitation agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AV1013

I live in Maryland and have started a company in Maryland. My former employer has headquarters in California with offices throughout the U.S. The client is in Washington, DC.

Below I will listed word-for-word the nonsolicitation agreement that I signed with my former employer. My question is - While I understand that I may not contact my former DC client to obtain business, can I legally accept business from the client if they contact me and request my services?

"Because of the inseperability of the Confidential Information from the customer relationships with which I have been entrusted as part of my duties, I understand and agree that, consistent with the limitations of applicable law, for a perioud of at least one year following the terminiation (for any reason) of my employment with the Company I shall not (whether acting alone or in concert with others) solicit any Compnay customer (either active or previous) to direct any business or prospective business or income from the Company or to stop or alter the manner in which such customners are doing business with the Company."

No need to comment of the lack of enforceability of the broad nature of the statements, unless it affects your response regarding the specific client. I need an opinion regarding my ability to accept work if the client contacts me. I have made no contact with the client since last serving them in February 2005. Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">