• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of state registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asiefr

What is the name of your state? California

Out of state registration, I had 30days to register my car, which i did within the next 3 days of receiving the citation, at the time i was given the ticket i was on my way to work and did't look at the ticket, 30days later i receive a notice saying i was suppose to appear in court and now my license is on hold and i will be charged $626 for not appearing in court, if i knew i was suppose to appear in court i would have went and showed proof i registered my car with 3 days of receiving the citation. I choose to ask for another court hearing to prove my case, i would like to know if i can beat this citation.

TYRIS

asiefr said:
What is the name of your state? California

Out of state registration, I had 30days to register my car, which i did within the next 3 days of receiving the citation, at the time i was given the ticket i was on my way to work and did't look at the ticket, 30days later i receive a notice saying i was suppose to appear in court and now my license is on hold and i will be charged $626 for not appearing in court, if i knew i was suppose to appear in court i would have went and showed proof i registered my car with 3 days of receiving the citation. I choose to ask for another court hearing to prove my case, i would like to know if i can beat this citation.

-What are you going to fight? At the time of the citation, your vehicle was not registered as required by the state.

You are responsible to know when your court date is. Are you saying that you never once looked at the citation to see if the information on it was accurate?

If you get a new court date and the Judge feels lenient he can waive the fine. If he doesn't you will have to pay the fine.

Tyris

asiefr

Registered

my vehicle was registered but not in that state (CA) it is a stupid law having to registered your car in every F&#^$# in state especially if you move alot becuase of jobs. In my case I was in the military and I seperated and moved to CA for Work, I didn't not registered in CA time they suggest a car should be registered but I did before my other state registration ran out. I am going to petition for a law that states if your car is registered in one state then it doesn't matter, you should not be forced to registered it in another state, the states are just looking to make money, in that case everyone forced to registered their car in 2-3-4 or more states should have a tax right-0ff for all those state and be able to collect their money back for the taxes paid. The system is so messed up when it comes to law they need to enforce and law they stupidly make up.

CdwJava

It WOULD have been a fix-it ticket with, perhaps, a $10 or $20 court fee had you gotten it registered by the time you appeared in court. But, since you failed to appear, the court has the right to assess a further penalty. They might choose to waive the added violation, but they don't have to.

- Carl

efflandt

One thing that may matter is what you considered your permanent address for state income tax purposes at that time, and what is required in that state.

If you still had a valid address, paid state income tax, and complied with driver/vehicle regulations in another state, you would not be in this situation. If you were not on military assignment and did not withold or pay income tax for another state at that time, why do you think you should NOT have to comply with regulations of your state of residence?

CdwJava

efflandt said:
One thing that may matter is what you considered your permanent address for state income tax purposes at that time, and what is required in that state.

If you still had a valid address, paid state income tax, and complied with driver/vehicle regulations in another state, you would not be in this situation. If you were not on military assignment and did not withold or pay income tax for another state at that time, why do you think you should NOT have to comply with regulations of your state of residence?
Nope. He said he was living and working here in CA. Thus, he was required to register the vehicle here. He may not like the law, but it is what it is. And had he taken care of the matter and showed up in court when he was originally scheduled he wouldn't be in the fix he's in.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">