• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my 1st moving violation for running a red

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikey4226

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Last night, at 8:25pm in Chicago i was coming up on an intersection when the light turned yellow. I'm not going to lie, i sped up a little to make it, but i'm very sure i made the light. I entered the intersection while the light was yellow and exited before it turned red. I have 4 others other the car with me that were positive i crossed through the intersection before it turned red. the cop was on the street perpendicular to mine, probably 5 or 6 cars back. He pulled me over and wrote me a ticket for "disobeying a solid red signal" only. He said he could hear my engine when i sped up, but did NOT give me a ticket for speeding or anything else, only for running the red, which i, along with the other passengers in my car, dont think i did.

This is my 1st moving violation and i'm thinking about fighting it, so it doesn't affect my insurance. I plan on going back to that intersection to take pictures from approximately where the cop was sitting to determine if he had a clear view of the traffic light (i looked over and saw the cop as i crossed the intersection, so i have a decent idea of where he was), as well as videotaping how long it takes for the light to turn from yellow to red.

is there any way i have a chance of winning and court and preventing this from going on my record, and/or what i should do to improve my odds? thanks for your help!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">