• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the legitimate use of a 501 C?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pengyou

California
I am presently living in China, though a resident of California. I would like to start a training center here for orphans and kids who are living on the streets but to do that I need to have a non-profit sponsor in another country. For that reason I want to start a non-profit in California to serve as the sponsor for my Chinese center. How narrowly or broadly can I define the CA non-profit and still have it fit the 501C? I need to be able to accept donations. I want to define the purpose of the CA non profit as "to help facilitate cultural exchange between the two countries". Will this work? Can someone direct me to some discussion on this topic? I really need it to be broadly defined because part of my work is going to be to start an association in China of people doing similar things, going to be trying to send Chinese students to the U.S. for a while to go to school, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">