• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce in a new state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Touché

What is the name of your state? Iowa/ Tennessee

I am leaving my husband and moving to Tennessee with the children he adopted. We are both agreeing on a divorce, and he does not want to see the children again so I am not asking for child support from him. I am the one who initiated the move and the divorce so I am paying for the divorce also. My question is if we are both in agreement about everything do I have to first establish residency in Tennessee before I can file for divorce there or can I do it as soon as I get there?

LdiJ

Touché said:
What is the name of your state? Iowa/ Tennessee

I am leaving my husband and moving to Tennessee with the children he adopted. We are both agreeing on a divorce, and he does not want to see the children again so I am not asking for child support from him. I am the one who initiated the move and the divorce so I am paying for the divorce also. My question is if we are both in agreement about everything do I have to first establish residency in Tennessee before I can file for divorce there or can I do it as soon as I get there?
Yes, you still have to establish residency in TN before you can file there. If you want the divorce to happen more quickly then you should file in Iowa. I hope that you will not be in need of any state assistance. He IS the legal father of the children and the state won't allow you to waive child support if you need any state assistance.

Touché

Thank you for the reply, we both know that he is leagally the father and is responsable for them. We have an agreement as to the child support that we will have signed by the judge and we will also put in there that he knows full well that if I ever recieve state assistance that he would have to pay but hopefully I will never need that. He adoped the children as a favor to me and I don't want him to have to pay for us leaving.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">