• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kkbeal

What is the name of your state? UTAH My husband left to live with his mother. We have been married 15 months and have a son together. He told me he has no legal responsibility to pay alimony. Is this right?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kkbeal said:
What is the name of your state? UTAH My husband left to live with his mother. We have been married 15 months and have a son together. He told me he has no legal responsibility to pay alimony. Is this right?

My response:

He's more than probably correct. Your married is too shortlived to have Spousal Support ordered. But, he'll be on the hook for court ordered child support and for child care. That way, you'll be able to get a job and pay YOUR share of the child support.

IAAL

kkbeal

I start my new job tomorrow morning. I just wanted to know if he was just giving me a line of crap about the alimony thing. Is child support based on his income or by the state? He is currently living on his unemployment because he doesn't have a job. In which case, will he have to get a job?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kkbeal said:
I start my new job tomorrow morning. I just wanted to know if he was just giving me a line of crap about the alimony thing. Is child support based on his income or by the state? He is currently living on his unemployment because he doesn't have a job. In which case, will he have to get a job?

My response:

First of all, I was under the impression that you already had an order of child support. If you don't, you need to get into an attorney's office a.s.a.p. to get the ball rolling.

Child support is both income-based as well as State Guideline based. An income level will be imputed to both of you. If your current job meets current State levels, then you'll be okay. However, if he normally makes much more money than unemployment pays (which is always the case), then an income level will be imputed to him - - which in turn will force him to get a job.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">