• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex trying to claim pensions after signing off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

megah4

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois
My husband's ex-wife is suddenly trying to claim part of his pensions, after having signed off on any such claims. She asked for it in the original divorce decree, but several years later, signed a document drawn by our lawyer, releasing any claim to any sums allocated for spousal maintenance. In exchange for her signing off, we had to pay her a large sum of money. Now, suddenly, we received a notice, filed by her, of a court date. The reason listed is that she's demanding "court-ordered" payment from my husband's pension funds.
We received this notice less than a week before the court date. Can anyone advise us as to whether we should retain an attorney, or just show up in court with the document she signed?
My husband and I have been married 15 years. He was married to this woman for about 10 years, prior to our marriage. They had no children. She works, and owns a business, and is in no way dependent, or needy. Just greedy. I would appreciate any feedback.

LdiJ

megah4 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois
My husband's ex-wife is suddenly trying to claim part of his pensions, after having signed off on any such claims. She asked for it in the original divorce decree, but several years later, signed a document drawn by our lawyer, releasing any claim to any sums allocated for spousal maintenance. In exchange for her signing off, we had to pay her a large sum of money. Now, suddenly, we received a notice, filed by her, of a court date. The reason listed is that she's demanding "court-ordered" payment from my husband's pension funds.
We received this notice less than a week before the court date. Can anyone advise us as to whether we should retain an attorney, or just show up in court with the document she signed?
My husband and I have been married 15 years. He was married to this woman for about 10 years, prior to our marriage. They had no children. She works, and owns a business, and is in no way dependent, or needy. Just greedy. I would appreciate any feedback.
I would really recommend going in with an attorney if at all possible. Its simply wiser where money is concerned.

megah4

Illinois
Yes, I'm sure you're right. One way or another this woman's going to cost us more money. This is Sunday night. The court date is this coming Thursday morning. Any advice on finding an attorney, in Chicago, at such short notice? And do they typically require a fee for this type of thing up front?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">