• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do' and Don'ts without Separation Papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ticket11

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I think my wife, who left our home 3 months ago is sleeping with someone else and is also in the process of buying a townhome(not sure if it is in her name, but I think it would be). We do not have any kind of legal separation papers. If I hire a PI, and he has good evidence, will that help me in my financial settlements at divorce? Will I be entitled to a portion of the townhome she is buying?

LdiJ

ticket11 said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I think my wife, who left our home 3 months ago is sleeping with someone else and is also in the process of buying a townhome(not sure if it is in her name, but I think it would be). We do not have any kind of legal separation papers. If I hire a PI, and he has good evidence, will that help me in my financial settlements at divorce? Will I be entitled to a portion of the townhome she is buying?
Most new home purchases really don't have any equity to start off with, but if she uses martial assets to purchase the property, then yes, theoretically the equity in the property would be part of the total assets of the marriage and would have to be taken into consideration in the property settlement.

I don't see the value in hiring a PI however....adultery usually doesn't make much difference in a divorce these days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">