• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

access to property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msangielewis

Georgia - My husband & I have recently divorced. We still own joint proerty in Georgia, although I now live in Indiana and have for the past year. According to our divorce agreement, he was supposed to vacate the property and get it listed for sale with a realtor a few weeks ago. He says that he is no longer living at the property, but doesn't have it ready to sell either. He had the locks changed so that I couldn't get into the house. Do I have any right to access the property and the house so that I can get it cleaned up and on the market?

LdiJ

msangielewis said:
Georgia - My husband & I have recently divorced. We still own joint proerty in Georgia, although I now live in Indiana and have for the past year. According to our divorce agreement, he was supposed to vacate the property and get it listed for sale with a realtor a few weeks ago. He says that he is no longer living at the property, but doesn't have it ready to sell either. He had the locks changed so that I couldn't get into the house. Do I have any right to access the property and the house so that I can get it cleaned up and on the market?
If the property is also in your name then yes, you have just as much right to access the property as he does.

HomeGuru

msangielewis said:

**A: if you do so, it may be in violation of your divorce decree. Go to court and force the issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">