• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting married,need advice on Prenup

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TrzVpr

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

As subject says it. I am thinking about getting married but before I sign anything I want to make sure I am protected with a Prenup.. Right now I dont have much, just a car and a few other possessions but who knows what might happen say 10 years from now.. In the event we do get divorced in the future I do not want to get screwed.. I told her that I wanted a prenup and she sayed that since we do not have any property, we do not need one.. I wanted to double check first.. What do I need to do and look out for?

I am 23 and she is 25 if that matters.

I did a search for this but came up with more questions..

What is comingling(sp) of assests and why shouldnt I do it? What does it imply?

Thanks!
Help me Please! :eek:

Last edited:

LdiJ

TrzVpr said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

As subject says it. I am thinking about getting married but before I sign anything I want to make sure I am protected with a Prenup.. Right now I dont have much, just a car and a few other possessions but who knows what might happen say 10 years from now.. In the event we do get divorced in the future I do not want to get screwed.. I told her that I wanted a prenup and she sayed that since we do not have any property, we do not need one.. I wanted to double check first.. What do I need to do and look out for?

I am 23 and she is 25 if that matters.

I did a search for this but came up with more questions..

What is comingling(sp) of assests and why shouldnt I do it? What does it imply?

Thanks!
Help me Please! :eek:
A prenup only protects assets acquired prior to the marriage. A prenup does not protect assets acquired during the marriage. So she really is right. You don't have any assets to protect, so you don't need a prenup.

T

TrzVpr

LdiJ said:
A prenup only protects assets acquired prior to the marriage. A prenup does not protect assets acquired during the marriage. So she really is right. You don't have any assets to protect, so you don't need a prenup.
So what do you recommend to protect future assets? For example if in the future we acquire cars, houses, and even have kids?

Also, what is comingling of assets? :confused:

Thx!

LdiJ

TrzVpr said:
So what do you recommend to protect future assets? For example if in the future we acquire cars, houses, and even have kids?

Also, what is comingling of assets? :confused:

Thx!
You can't protect future assets. Anything gained during marriage is marital property.

Co-mingling of assets means jointly owning property, and joint bank accounts etc.

T

TrzVpr

LdiJ said:
You can't protect future assets. Anything gained during marriage is marital property.

Co-mingling of assets means jointly owning property, and joint bank accounts etc.
Is earned income considered an asset?

What if we have individual seperate bank accounts? If there anything to protect this so that it would not be considered a marital asset in the event of a disolution of marriage?

Last edited:

LdiJ

TrzVpr said:
Is earned income considered an asset?

What if we have individual seperate bank accounts? If there anything to protect this so that it would not be considered a marital asset in the event of a disolution of marriage?
Yes, earned income is a marital asset.

Look dude....you cannot protect any assets gained during the marriage. It doesn't matter if you keep your money in a separate bank account or not.
I have already answered your question multiple times. There is NOTHING that you can do.

Quite frankly, if I knew your girlfriend I would tell her to run, not walk, in the opposite direction from you. You have no business getting married.

T

TrzVpr

LdiJ said:
Yes, earned income is a marital asset.

Look dude....you cannot protect any assets gained during the marriage. It doesn't matter if you keep your money in a separate bank account or not.
I have already answered your question multiple times. There is NOTHING that you can do.

Quite frankly, if I knew your girlfriend I would tell her to run, not walk, in the opposite direction from you. You have no business getting married.
Thanks for your willingness to help EThug.... :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">