• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Son was hurt in School.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TinaSS

What is the name of your state? Nevada

My son was helping the janitor at school take out the trash and he pushed go instead of stop with the machine they use to take out the trash and smashed my sons leg between the machine and the wall. He asked if he was hurt he said yes. and asked to go see the nurse and he told my son there was no need. This whole incident and everything was put in a accident report. My son didnt get to see a nurse and they sent him home with this hurt leg. They had no permission to have my son helping the janitor and then he gets hurt.

They told me i cant get damages. Is this true?
Someone please help me. :confused:

TinaSS

What is the name of your state? Nevada

My son was helping the janitor at school take out the trash and he pushed go instead of stop with the machine they use to take out the trash and smashed my sons leg between the machine and the wall. He asked if he was hurt he said yes. and asked to go see the nurse and he told my son there was no need. This whole incident and everything was put in a accident report. My son didnt get to see a nurse and they sent him home with this hurt leg. They had no permission to have my son helping the janitor and then he gets hurt.

They told me i cant get damages. Is this true?
Someone please help me. :confused:

TinaSS

My son got hurt at school.

Well his injuries werent that bad, he had a deep thigh and calve bruise. Damages i think are because, he was denied seeing the nurse. No one from the school even called me to give me the chance to pick him and take him to the doctor. They just put him on the bus and sent him. When i called the school the very next day and finally spoke to the vice prin. he knew nothing of the accident until i called and he found the accident report. I just do not like the way they handled this whole thing. Thank god my son wasnt serously hurt. But he was denied his right to see the nurse and to call me.

Veronica1228

TinaSS said:
Well his injuries werent that bad, he had a deep thigh and calve bruise. Damages i think are because, he was denied seeing the nurse. No one from the school even called me to give me the chance to pick him and take him to the doctor. They just put him on the bus and sent him. When i called the school the very next day and finally spoke to the vice prin. he knew nothing of the accident until i called and he found the accident report. I just do not like the way they handled this whole thing. Thank god my son wasnt serously hurt. But he was denied his right to see the nurse and to call me.
...and how to you put a monetary value on that? Also, how do you prove this imaginary value in court?

You have no damages.

TinaSS

My Son got hurt at school

So, what your saying is. The school can hurt your child and thats just to bad for it. I dont understand. this was not just a paper cut. He couldnt walk on his leg for 3 days and he suffered hurtfull bruises. If that is the case im really scared to let my son go to school if there will be no responsiblity in what the school does when they dont even have your permission and he is in special education.

Veronica1228

TinaSS said:
So, what your saying is. The school can hurt your child and thats just to bad for it. I dont understand. this was not just a paper cut. He couldnt walk on his leg for 3 days and he suffered hurtfull bruises. If that is the case im really scared to let my son go to school if there will be no responsiblity in what the school does when they dont even have your permission and he is in special education.
Damages are things such as medical expenses, loss of wages, pain and suffering etc. Do you have anything like that? You have to be able to prove these things in court, so you can't just make them up yourself.

tombstoney

TinaSS said:
While you don't appear to have too much to recover monetary damages (though there are places you can get it for anything), you do have a case for charges against the school either through the local police or through the school district administrative process. I would recommend filing a complaint with the district as some school districts would take an accident like this very seriously.

PinHead

<lawyer>

If your son actually volunteered to help the janitor in his school, well, it will not be liable for the damages done. They are just obliged to give him first aid when the accident happens and they are willing to help in paying the medical bills they may do so but to sue them or oblige them to pay for it I think that’s unreasonable since your son was not forced or asked to do it.

TinaSS

My Son got hurt at School

That is the thing that gets me, He didnt ask to help them and he wouldnt ask because he is in special education. The second thing is. He did get hurt and they did not give him aid. The janitor asked him if he was hurt he said yes. Then my son asked the janitor if he could go to the nurse the janitor said; No need in going to the nurse she can not do anything for you. So, he was sent back to his class, Teacher saw him having a hard time walking, she asked him what was the matter he said; i hurt myself and she also did nothing. He was sent home on the bus had to walk two blocks home and no one called me from the school to even let me know he had gotten hurt i had to find out when i got home from work. Then the next day i called the school to ask why wasnt i called and the vice princ said that he didnt know of the accident unti 10 mins before he called me. He found the incident report from the janitor and it said excatly what my son said. The janitor put it all in the report even that my son said he was hurt and asked to go to the nurse. Grant it there wasnt alot of pain and suffering my son couldnt walk on his leg for a week because of the deep bruising.We did go to the doctor and i did have to miss work as well as him missing school because of the injury.

Last edited:

teflon_jones

You're trying to get monetary damages for your child's pain instead of pursuing this with the school as a complaint on how they handled the situation? :confused:

I think your priorities are a little off! As others have already said, you don't really have any damages anyway.

stephenk

"That is the thing that gets me, He didnt ask to help them and he wouldnt ask because he is in special education"

So how was it your son was out of class and helping the janitor?

TinaSS

My Son was hurt at school

First of all, i want to set the record straight. I have filed a complaint, I had a meeting with the vice-princ, the teacher and filed a formal complaint at the highest level of the school adminstration that i could and can. They said he (janitor) just didnt follow protocal. That there would be repurcutions and there hasnt been up intil this day. That is one of my biggest questions, why was my son helping the janitor. Ive asked this of the teacher and the vice-princ. The vice-princ has no idea, the teacher claims, she was trying to teach him some life skills. And trully i dont have a problem with that idea. BUT she should have gotten my permission and let me know he was going to be doing this. Then when he gets hurt no one even has the curtousy to call me. My priority is my child. I want to make sure he will be safe going back to school next year. I have done everything im suppose to with the school. This was badly handled and my son was neglected that is my point. I want to make it where it dont happen again to my son or some one elses and they get hurt really bad!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">