• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lane markings vs. Traffic sign - Please help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jstempi

What is the name of your state? California.

Beginning May 20, 2004, the California Department of Transportation adopted the Federal Highway Administration's (FHWA) Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) 2003. The FHWA MUTCD requires:

CHAPTER 2B. REGULATORY SIGNS
Section 2B.01 Application of Regulatory Signs
Standard:

Regulatory signs shall be used to inform road users of selected traffic laws or regulations and indicate the applicability of the legal requirements.
Regulatory signs shall be installed at or near where the regulations apply. The signs shall clearly indicate the requirements imposed by the regulations and shall be designed and installed to provide
adequate visibility and legibility in order to obtain compliance.

I was ticketed for not obeying a sign that says the right lane must exit; however, the sign is posted about two car lengths ahead of where the lane markings become solid. I crossed while the lane markings were still dashed but I dont know if I made it in before or after the sign. The officer admitted he did not pay attention to the lane markings. Where does the regulation apply, at the point of the sign or when the lane marking becomes solid? Do the lane markings supercede the traffic signs or could I win my case since the sign is not posted sufficiently near where the regulation to merge left applies? Please help!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">