• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband incarcerated...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sooverthis

What is the name of your state? FL

I have been married for four years. My husband has been incarcerated for the last two (in GA). He is suppose to go to trial in August and is most likely looking at a very, very long time away. Is there anything different I have to do when filing for divorce because of where he is? I mean as far as adding in visitation and child support (neither of which will be happening). I can only afford to do a do-it-yourself kit but am a little apprehesive because of his location...
Any help/suugestions are greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!!

LdiJ

sooverthis said:
What is the name of your state? FL

I have been married for four years. My husband has been incarcerated for the last two (in GA). He is suppose to go to trial in August and is most likely looking at a very, very long time away. Is there anything different I have to do when filing for divorce because of where he is? I mean as far as adding in visitation and child support (neither of which will be happening). I can only afford to do a do-it-yourself kit but am a little apprehesive because of his location...
Any help/suugestions are greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!!
Go ahead with the do it yourself kit....you will have to serve him in jail. One thing that you could do with child support and visitation is to ask the judge to "hold it in reserve" (in other words, not make a decision about it at this time). That may make the process easier.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">