• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Radar Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chomp123

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

Hi I have some questions about what I should about my speeding ticket I recieved a few nights ago. Well to start off my situation I was at a party for about 15 minutes and someone I've never met starts to threaten me. Not wanting to cause any trouble I left with my friends. Then about 2 mins after i left and started driving away a car sped up to me and I noticed it was the guy from the party. I go a little faster and the guy starts to chase me and it was apparent he was going to put my friends and I in danger. The driver was getting closer and closer to the driver side of my car. Then a police officer traveling in the other direction makes a fast U turn and pursues me. The guy that was chasing me turns into a street and gets away. At this point I checked my speed and I was going the speed limit. So after about 20 seconds of following me, the police officer puts on his lights and pulls me over. I explain what happened to the officer and he issues me a ticket, saying that the radar indicated I was speeding. I wasn't too sure what my speed exactly was so i asked if I could see the radar he replied "o I didnt save it". This is my first speeding ticket. So my questions are: What should I do? and do standard police issue radars save speeds?

Two Bit

On most radars, the officer can lock in a speed, but a lot of guys don't. I don't do it because when I had a radar, it only had to displays, Patrol Speed and Target Speed. If I locked in the target speed, I couldn't continue to monitor the other driver's speed.

Personally, I don't see where you have much of a defense. The uncontested evidence will be the officer sayin gthat you were going a certain speed. You can't even counter that by saying I was going this other speed, because you weren't paying attention to your spedometer at the time. Sorry.

There may be some hyper technical loophole, but I don't know anything about California speed laws.

Pugilist

Many people on this forum are cops. Some make it plain what they are. Some are coy about it. If you click on their name (to view previous posts) you will see they often discourage people from fighting their tickets.

I say fight the ticket.

The officer probably won't show up for the trial. If he doesn't, you win by default.

When he wondered aloud about a "hyper technical loophole," Two Bit inadvertently gave you a big hint. There is one. To find out about it, and to prepare for the trial, go to your local library and ask the reference librarian for books on fighting tickets.

Oh, and if we are going to discuss this more here, please indicate what was the speed limit and how fast were you ticketed for.

Pugilist

Curt581

Pugilist said:
Many people on this forum are cops. Some make it plain what they are. Some are coy about it. If you click on their name (to view previous posts) you will see they often discourage people from fighting their tickets.
Of course, being cops means our advise is automatically not to be trusted, right?

Posters like CdwJava and I do not discourage anyone from fighting a ticket if they so choose. I explain procedure and options, and let the OP choose for themselves. I don't point at other posters (such as yourself) and tell anyone not to listen to them. Keep your personal agenda against the police out of the discussions.
I say fight the ticket.

The officer probably won't show up for the trial. If he doesn't, you win by default.
You better hope and PRAY he doesn't. If he does, and you don't have a well planned defense ready to go, you'll be red-faced and stuttering when the court asks if you're ready to proceed. You'll find yourself meekly asking about the original offer to reduce, which will the court will most likely deny since you wasted their time scheduling a trial.
When he wondered aloud about a "hyper technical loophole," Two Bit inadvertently gave you a big hint. There is one.
He did no such thing. He let you know he wasn't entirely sure about CA speed enforcement laws, nothing more.

Go right ahead... find a "hyper-technical loophole". When you go to trial, don't forget your checkbook.

CdwJava

Ditto what Curt said. I encourage people to fight tickets ... we need the overtime - we have families to feed.

As to the Chomp's queries:

No, we do not have to save the speed on the radar and we do not have to show it tanyone if we did.

Is there a way to fight the ticket? Sure. But it has to do mainly with obtaining speed surveys and maintenance records for the radar device. Most people do not follow the proper procedures and step on their cranks. If the surveys and maintenance records are up to snuff, then there is not a whole lot more to go on except for a wing and a prayer that the officer won't show up ... and if the officer is running radar, the chances are he WILL show up as traffic is likely his primary assignment.

Keep in mind that in CA once you take the stand at trial the option of traffic school is not usually available. AND, keep in mind that bringing up the defense of: "fleeing the mystery assault suspect" rarely goes over in court. It is mentioned enough that most of us have heard it too many times to believe it.

- Carl

ismellbacon

Chomp123 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

Hi I have some questions about what I should about my speeding ticket I recieved a few nights ago. Well to start off my situation I was at a party for about 15 minutes and someone I've never met starts to threaten me. Not wanting to cause any trouble I left with my friends. Then about 2 mins after i left and started driving away a car sped up to me and I noticed it was the guy from the party. I go a little faster and the guy starts to chase me and it was apparent he was going to put my friends and I in danger. The driver was getting closer and closer to the driver side of my car. Then a police officer traveling in the other direction makes a fast U turn and pursues me. The guy that was chasing me turns into a street and gets away. At this point I checked my speed and I was going the speed limit. So after about 20 seconds of following me, the police officer puts on his lights and pulls me over. I explain what happened to the officer and he issues me a ticket, saying that the radar indicated I was speeding. I wasn't too sure what my speed exactly was so i asked if I could see the radar he replied "o I didnt save it". This is my first speeding ticket. So my questions are: What should I do? and do standard police issue radars save speeds?

So the cop didnt care you were being chased by someone? Interesting, sad but typical. Most cops today dont care about the concept of protect and serve.

CdwJava

ismellbacon said:
So the cop didnt care you were being chased by someone? Interesting, sad but typical. Most cops today dont care about the concept of protect and serve.
Or it was simply an unsubstantiated excuse right up there with "a dog ran out in front of me."

When you hear the same tired line all the flippin' time, it gets old. Plus, even if the officer didn't buy it, the original poster can still take his shot with the judge ... maybe HE will believe the tale. Who knows, if he can bring in corroborating witnesses, MAYBE the judge will buy the speeding as an act of "self defense" of some kind. On the other hand, the judge may believe it is a speed contest (a misdemeanor).

- Carl

ismellbacon

CdwJava said:
Or it was simply an unsubstantiated excuse right up there with "a dog ran out in front of me."

When you hear the same tired line all the flippin' time, it gets old. Plus, even if the officer didn't buy it, the original poster can still take his shot with the judge ... maybe HE will believe the tale. Who knows, if he can bring in corroborating witnesses, MAYBE the judge will buy the speeding as an act of "self defense" of some kind. On the other hand, the judge may believe it is a speed contest (a misdemeanor).

- Carl
If he was smart hed bring anyone in the car as a witness.

As far as excuses go, Im closing in on 40 and one thing Ive learned is, the BS doesnt end with the excuses from people getting pulled over. Sometimes it starts with cops and judges. Cops and judges lie and break the rules just as much as anyone else.

Its a shame because I used to like cops and respect them. Ive had a couple good friends that were cops. These days I have some serious contempt for them pretty much for a major personal reason. I know theres some good ones out there. Ive met em. But mostly cops can kiss my @ss. Most are filled with arrogance by and large. There are very little cops left who are in it for noble causes.

Cops have no more integrity then a guy driving a truck. They might even have less.

CdwJava

Sorry you feel that way.

Since you are obviously closed-minded on the issue, there is no point in discussing the matter further.

- Carl

ismellbacon

CdwJava said:
Sorry you feel that way.

Since you are obviously closed-minded on the issue, there is no point in discussing the matter further.

- Carl

Maybe if more cops worried about WHY a large and growing number of people feel that way, the numbers would go down instead of grow.

Maybe if departments were more selective in who they hire. Maybe if they looked for good natured people who want to help instead of egotists that polices forces are absolutely FILLED with these days, the growing animosity towards cops would die some.

Its sad but what I said is exactly true. Cops are no more honorable then anyone else in the world. Just because they have a badge doesnt make em a person of integrity and compassion. It should but it doesnt and it hasnt in a long long time. Police forces are just another form of gangs these days, in alot of ways.

Im sorry I feel that way too. I really am. But it wasnt my choice.

maxxheadroom

Personally I would fight it, what do you have to loose?

As far as cops go, ya know what guys I know 99% of you are upstanding people doing your job, and you do it well. You put your life on the line for us, and half the time we spit in your face. I have nothing but respect for the 99% of you who are out there, it is just that 1% that gives you the bad name. Keep up the good work and thank you for keeping us safe!!!

Curt581

ismellbacon said:
Maybe if more cops worried about WHY a large and growing number of people feel that way, the numbers would go down instead of grow.
Much as we'd like to... we can't. We don't have the luxury of worrying about whether or not the wifebeater "likes" us, when we're trying to wrestle him into handcuffs.

People don't like us because we represent authority. Authority that is telling them they CAN'T do something they want to do.
Maybe if departments were more selective in who they hire. Maybe if they looked for good natured people who want to help instead of egotists that polices forces are absolutely FILLED with these days, the growing animosity towards cops would die some.
Maybe if people would teach their kids to accept responsibility for their own actions, instead of turning them into professional victims, we wouldn't have to.
Its sad but what I said is exactly true. Cops are no more honorable then anyone else in the world. Just because they have a badge doesnt make em a person of integrity and compassion. It should but it doesnt and it hasnt in a long long time. Police forces are just another form of gangs these days, in alot of ways.
Largest street gang in the world, playa.

I'm down wid tha' 5-0, yo.
Im sorry I feel that way too. I really am. But it wasnt my choice.
Yet another 'victim'.

:rolleyes:

lwpat

Police Dept.'s Office Answering Machine
Hello, you have reached the Police Dept.'s Voice Mail. Pay close attention, as we have to update the choices often as new and usual circumstances arrive. Please select one of the following options:

To whine about us not doing anything to solve a problem that you created yourself, press 1.

To inquire as to whether someone has to die before we'll do something about a problem, press 2.

To report an officer for bad manners, when in reality the officer is trying to keep your neighborhood safe, press 3.

If you would like us to raise your children, press 4.

If you would like us to take control of your life due to your chemical dependency or alcohol, press 5.

If you would like us to instantly restore order to a situation that took years to deteriorate, press 6.

To provide a list of officers you personally know so we will not take enforcement action against you, press 7.

To sue us, or tell us you pay our salary and you'll have our badge, or to proclaim our career is over, press 8.

To whine about a ticket and/or complain about the many other uses for police rather than keeping your dumb ass in line, press 9.

Please note, your call may be monitored to assure proper customer support and remember.....we're here to save your ass, NOT kiss it!

Thanks for calling your local police dept. and have a nice day.

ismellbacon

Oh you mean wife beaters like this?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/07/21/earlyshow/living/main564202.shtml

When asked if she has any idea of how many Crystal Brames there may be out there, Anne O'Dell, a retired San Diego Police sergeant says, "There are so many women being battered by police officers." The detective notes for too long, police departments have ignored the problem of domestic abuse within the ranks.

http://www.kersplebedeb.com/mystuff/police/batterers.html

When most people think of domestic violence, they imagine police to be the ones breaking it up, not committing it. In fact, the stories of Crystal Brame and Tracy Nolan are not isolated. Research shows that a staggering amount of domestic violence is hidden behind the walls of police officers’ homes. (While some female cops are violent at home, too, male officers are responsible for the bulk of the abuse, particularly the most severe violence resulting in deaths.) The Brame case is only unusual because it was so extreme and so public. In the vast majority of cases, the abuse remains a secret and the victims are isolated. They rarely make a complaint, criminal charges are rarer still, and an abusive officer’s chances of losing his badge and gun are virtually nil, even if the woman comes forward.

http://www.dwetendorf.com/

Please. Drop the saint act. The thought cops are above the actions and personality traits of everyone else in society is laughable.

I never said being a cop was easy. Im sure you do hear alot of BS. But you also bring alot of it on yourselves. To deny that is just ignorant. But hey you guys just gave great examples of why most cops are not liked anyways.

fedcop110

Of course there are some bad apples out there, just like in any profession. But how many other jobs do you know of that after 15 years working, getting a misdemeanor conviction would cause you to loose your job, never being able to work in that particular field again. I am refering to the Lautenberg Amendment. Don't get me wrong, I think that Law Enfrocement should be held to a higher standard. I also believe that domestic violence is disgusting and should be severly punished. However, I know of no other profession that would be shut down to a person for a misdemeanor conviction (except maybe for a soldier.) The three examples you give are absolutely terrible. The individuals should be punished. But the statistics for spouse abuse involving law enforcement are nearly identical to the statistics for society as a whole.

In the vast majority of cases, the abuse remains a secret and the victims are isolated. They rarely make a complaint, criminal charges are rarer still, and an abusive officer’s chances of losing his badge and gun are virtually nil, even if the woman comes forward.
Partly true. A complaint is rarely made, officer involvement or not. Criminal charges are rare, officer involvement or not. But an abusive officers chances of losing his gun are very high. If that officer is convicted of domestic assault he/she WILL loose his/her gun and badge. It is law.

I too am sorry that you feel thae way you do about the men and women of law enforcement. I can only tell you that whether or not you like us, we will still come running if you need help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">