• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-husband has signed me out of his pension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onesglrose

we were married 22 yrs divorced since 10/89. I have been waiting forhim to pull something like this.. I received some papers in the mail from an atty Not representing him. I read them he was asking me to sign over my portionment of his pension, etc to him. I tore them up.. Now he has told my daughter that he retired back in Apr '05 and I was NEVER informed of such time.. And today I called OPM Office Personnel Management in Washington D.C. and was transferred to Court ordered section and they informed me that he indeed was retired but that there was an amendment so stating that I had signed over MY portion of his retirement.. I NEVER signed anything and that would've had to be signed in front of a notary to be notorized.. so now what do I do? Can anyone help me please? TY

LdiJ

onesglrose said:
we were married 22 yrs divorced since 10/89. I have been waiting forhim to pull something like this.. I received some papers in the mail from an atty Not representing him. I read them he was asking me to sign over my portionment of his pension, etc to him. I tore them up.. Now he has told my daughter that he retired back in Apr '05 and I was NEVER informed of such time.. And today I called OPM Office Personnel Management in Washington D.C. and was transferred to Court ordered section and they informed me that he indeed was retired but that there was an amendment so stating that I had signed over MY portion of his retirement.. I NEVER signed anything and that would've had to be signed in front of a notary to be notorized.. so now what do I do? Can anyone help me please? TY
You need to get an attorney, right away. Something has gone wrong here and its undoubtedly complicated enough that it requires the assistance of an attorney.

Tayla

Was there an agreement that you would receive part of his pension in the divorce decree? Or settlement? Not sure that was made clear in your post or if that is a given in most marriages .....There are soo very often three sides to a story ..His/Hers/And what the judge's papers site.

onesglrose

reply to what the divorce says

to divide this equally between the parties when the retiree retires the monthly benfitd shall be distributed acoding to the following formula
(Brown's formula)
# of months of retiree's service during marriage
times (x) amt of monthly benefit times (x) 1/2= TOTAL NUMBER OF MONTHS OF RETIREE'S SERVICE
amt of each monthly bene to be distributed to non-retiree...balance of ea monthly bene shall be distributed to retiree...
Nonemployee spouce's benefit shall not be affected by any election employee spouse may make or fail to make under hthe husband's employee bene plan as to the form of retiremment benefit..
also, Retiree SHALL notify nonemloee spouse of ANY elections retiree has regarding retirement and shallgive nonemployee spouse 60 days noticebefore making an election so that the noemp spouse may object to such election.. The retiree shall also direct the ADministrator to notify the nonemployee spouse of any election made by the retiree immediately upon receipt thereof..I WAS NEVER NOTIFIED AT ALL by anyone..... He told my daughter that he had been retired since Apr '05
thanks

Tayla

Pardon but can I request that you type that without such erroneous spellings. Its truly difficult to decipher what your trying to convey. Also: Did this formula come directly from the divorce settlement document?

So what if he TOLD your daughter. He's allowed to talk and say whatever he wants.

Your goal seems to be for the most part to get your loving hands on his retirement funds.( Which is still unknown if your entitled too!). I adore ex-spouses. They validate why its important to be independent and self sufficient. Thank you for that reminder!

LdiJ

Tayla said:
Pardon but can I request that you type that without such erroneous spellings. Its truly difficult to decipher what your trying to convey. Also: Did this formula come directly from the divorce settlement document?

So what if he TOLD your daughter. He's allowed to talk and say whatever he wants.

Your goal seems to be for the most part to get your loving hands on his retirement funds.( Which is still unknown if your entitled too!). I adore ex-spouses. They validate why its important to be independent and self sufficient. Thank you for that reminder!
That was uncalled for. Its clear that she is was entitled to a portion of his pension....its just unclear how much. They were married for 22 years therefore your comments are really unfair.

Tayla

LdiJ said:
That was uncalled for. Its clear that she is was entitled to a portion of his pension....its just unclear how much. They were married for 22 years therefore your comments are really unfair.
Thank you for sharing such an opinion. Glad you took the time to read the post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">