• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and Blackmail, Could use some advice, Thanks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NieveInNewYork

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

Getting Divorced after 20 years and Feel I'm Being Black Mailed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

My Husband and i are getting Divorced after 20 years togeather, there is just no room for repair.

Heres the thing:
We have been married for 19 years in August, we have owned our House outright for 14 years, His mom took ownership of the home after his dad passed away, they were seperated since my husband was 4 years old, they never divorced ? Don't ask anyway we were married 5 years when my husbands mom transfered the home to my husband and I, sort-of, she never put my name on it just my spouse, to this day we will never understand the whys of it all, shes old school and at the time her other son went through a horrible divorce (and my spouse begged me to not make waves about it or she would change her mind)in any event we finally got off of our duffs and added my name to the deed by an attorney 1 week ago!

Long story short: we are now getting a divorce of our own, i caught my husband cheating with his old girlfriend from 20 YEARS AGO! although he claims nothing happened, this is beyond repair as there are many other reasons for this. Bottom line is he is useing his Union Attorney as it is free to him, and wants me to agree on using him as well, problem is although he is allowing me all the furniture i want, i bought 85% of it anyhow, he will not agree on ANYTHING!! above and beyond the house split, we have 3 children all teenagers, 14. 17 and 22 and insist after the splitting of the house that we should both consider leaving the state as we can not afford to live in ny on one income each, and wants to move within 60 miles of me, Thats NUTS!

Now heres my Qustion:
HE TELLS ME IF I DO NOT AGREE TO HIS TERMS INCLUDING SPLITTING ALL THE DEBTS, EVEN ONES THAT ARE NOT MINE, HE AND HIS UNION LAWYER WILL SEE TO IT THAT I GET NO PART OF THE HOUSE AS IT WAS A GIFT TRANSFER 14 YEARS AGO, HE STATED YOU SPLIT WHAT YOU BROUGHT INTO THE MARRIAGE TOGEATHER, POINT IS IT WAS'NT HIS EITHER!, I HAVE WORKED ALL MY LIFE THAT I HAVE BEEN WITH HIM AND PAID MY SHARE OF EVERYTHING WITH THIS HOUSE, CAN HE DO THIS TO ME AT THIS POINT, EVEN THOUGH HE SIGNED THE PAPERS ADDING MY NAME TO THE DEED AND Papers are on their way to be filled in the clerks office, he is trying to say the courts will go by the time line, divorce filed with in a couple of weeks after, we did this knowing we would probly break up anyway,

I would love a response on this , thank you in advance, I feel like this is a form of blackmail or something like it.its a shame it came to this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">