• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1 st time speeding in Wisconsin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clary11

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin (Milwaukee County)
A few questions.
1) I was told I was going 51 in a 35 ( 16 over) - I looked this up and this is 4 points I beleive, but on the ticket is says (Estimated Points for this citation 6) Is this right
2) the posted speed and my speed were not written on the ticket. Does this make this ticket void in Wisconsin?
3) What should I do, I don't mind paying the $126.80 ticket as I probably was speeding, but don't want to loose 6 points (which is the same as 1st offense DUI) and going to court may not be an option as I am a Dental Student and need to see patients. Can I do this with out going to court?
any advice would be great thnks :confused:

Veronica1228

clary11 said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin (Milwaukee County)
A few questions.
1) I was told I was going 51 in a 35 ( 16 over) - I looked this up and this is 4 points I beleive, but on the ticket is says (Estimated Points for this citation 6) Is this right
2) the posted speed and my speed were not written on the ticket. Does this make this ticket void in Wisconsin?
3) What should I do, I don't mind paying the $126.80 ticket as I probably was speeding, but don't want to loose 6 points (which is the same as 1st offense DUI) and going to court may not be an option as I am a Dental Student and need to see patients. Can I do this with out going to court?
any advice would be great thnks :confused:
I'm not a lawyer or a cop or anything, but I was just recently at Milwaukee Municipal Court House (on 6th and State) with a friend, and with first timers the Judge kept knocking down the fee and point penalty when they were pleading "no contest." I've been told by a lot of friends that this is pretty typical.

Take that for what it's worth.

Curt581

clary11 said:
1) I was told I was going 51 in a 35 ( 16 over) - I looked this up and this is 4 points I beleive, but on the ticket is says (Estimated Points for this citation 6) Is this right?
A 16 over ticket should be 4 points, not 6... if that's what you were cited for. The cop may have written for a different violation.
Not necessarily. What is the exact statute on your citation?
3) What should I do, I don't mind paying the $126.80 ticket as I probably was speeding, but don't want to loose 6 points (which is the same as 1st offense DUI)
Not even close to the same. A 20 over ticket carries 6 points, but that doesn't mean it's the same as DUI. That charge carries lots of other penalties besides points
and going to court may not be an option as I am a Dental Student and need to see patients. Can I do this with out going to court?
Maybe. If you absolutely cannot personally appear, you have two choices:

You can stipulate to the citation by mailing in payment before the court date. Downside... You accept paying the full fine and all points go on your record, even if the citation is incorrect.

You could hire an attorney to appear on your behalf. You'll get a much better deal than simply paying it. Downside... attorney fees. Call around, prices vary.

Curt581

clary11 said:
The exact staute was 480 "Exceeding Zones/Posted Speed"
thanks
That's not a statute, it's a local ordinance. Was this written on a Uniform Traffic Citation?

If so, what's in field # 28 ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">