• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What am I entitled to?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ready to Go

My state is Indiana. I've been married 7yrs 8mos with 1 child. My husband is self employed and brings in Approx $84,000.00 annually I bring in approx $23,000.00 annually. I need to know what to ask for when I ask for a divorce? Am I allowed spousel support? as well as child support? and am I allowed to ask for a lump sum and then monthly payments? Also, is he responsible for my atty fee's? ALSO everything is in his name, both cars and the house. Will I be allowed to take my car. I do not want the house, just most of the furniture. So basically I would like to have monthly payments in ? amounts and most of the belongings in the house. I would also like some sort of lump sum in the beginning to help me become established in a new home. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

nextwife

Normally, MARITAL debts and assets are split bewteen you. Any spousal support for such a relatively short term (under 10 years) marriage, if awarded at all, will only be for a short time, such as half the marriage, unless there are extenuating circumstances, such as you supported him through med school, or you are now disabled.

Ready to Go

Ready to Go said:
My state is Indiana. I've been married 7yrs 8mos with 1 child. My husband is self employed and brings in Approx $84,000.00 annually I bring in approx $23,000.00 annually. I need to know what to ask for when I ask for a divorce? Am I allowed spousel support? as well as child support? and am I allowed to ask for a lump sum and then monthly payments? Also, is he responsible for my atty fee's? ALSO everything is in his name, both cars and the house. Will I be allowed to take my car. I do not want the house, just most of the furniture. So basically I would like to have monthly payments in ? amounts and most of the belongings in the house. I would also like some sort of lump sum in the beginning to help me become established in a new home. Thanks for your time.
Thanks for the small amount of info but all of my questions are not being addressed. Should I expect any further advise?

Ready to Go

:) Thank you for the Tid Bit on info regarding splitting assets etc. but a lot of my questions are still left unanswered. Am I in the wrong thread? Or should I expect a few more replies? : confused: Thanks!

LdiJ

Ready to Go said:
Thanks for the small amount of info but all of my questions are not being addressed. Should I expect any further advise?
You really need an attorney. This is not something that you should attempt to handle alone.

nextwife

You need to see an attorney. No one on this board knows what you purchased jointly, and what you each brought to the marriage, so we have no way to know whether the furniture is all marital property , partially, marital property, or all someone's premarital property. What properties still have shared debt. Nor do we know the circumstances of the divorce. Simply being female, or making less (we have no way to know if you make less by choice and are capable of considerably more income) may or may not be a reason to have him pay your attorney fees. Also, if hubby is self-employed, is that figure his gross or net? All this matters in property division, and child support. WE simply don't know enough details.

You state all that you "want", but non one here even knows IF there are cash assets available to provide you a "lump sum" from MARITAL assets prior to any home sale, what the joint debt situation may be, and so on.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">