• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce after long term marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gator1978

What is the name of your state? Florida

Long term marriage, 30+ years, and wife wants a divorce. No real issues except incompatibility and financial pressures. She has a college degree but has worked only part time outside the home periodically since we married. I have an irregular income, but make on the order of $150K. No real assets except house (my name), and youngest child will be 18 soon. We will likely be able to go the uncontested route since there really isn't much to argue over. I understand that she will be entitled to spousal support, and am wondering about how much, or if there is a specific calculation. TIA

VeronicaGia

gator1978 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

Long term marriage, 30+ years, and wife wants a divorce. No real issues except incompatibility and financial pressures. She has a college degree but has worked only part time outside the home periodically since we married. I have an irregular income, but make on the order of $150K. No real assets except house (my name), and youngest child will be 18 soon. We will likely be able to go the uncontested route since there really isn't much to argue over. I understand that she will be entitled to spousal support, and am wondering about how much, or if there is a specific calculation. TIA
There is not really a calculator for spousal support. Your best bet is to hire an attorney. If you do pay alimony, discuss with the attorney these things:

Making sure it ends after a certain number of years (rehabilitative) OR
Making sure it ends if she dies, remarries, or cohabitates with someone.
Making sure it ends if you die, so she cannot go after your estate.

The house being in your name only means virtually nothing. It is a marital asset and a judge can order you to leave, her to leave, or the both to leave and the house sold.

Keep in mind, debts have to be split also. And then there's 401k's, IRA's, savings, stocks, bonds, etc......

Get an attorney who specializes in family law. Obviously if you and she can come to an agreement, legal fees will be less. If not...legal fees alone can cost a bundle.

LdiJ

I would also like to point out that if she earned her college degree 30+ years ago...then its not useful at all towards getting a job today if she has not had regular full time employment in the last 30 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">