• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Community Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gpmoem

What is the name of your state?
California

My husband and are going through a divorce. He purchased our home 2yrs prior to our marriage. We lived together for one year prior to our marriage at which time I paid for half of the mortgage. Shortly after we were married, we took out a 2nd on our home to pay for his debt which was incurred during his previous marriage. At that time, my name went on the title and I have continued to pay half of the mortgage. We have been married for 6 years.
He originally put down $20,000 when he purchased our home.

My question is am I entitled to half of the appraised value? How does this work?

LdiJ

gpmoem said:
What is the name of your state?
California

My husband and are going through a divorce. He purchased our home 2yrs prior to our marriage. We lived together for one year prior to our marriage at which time I paid for half of the mortgage. Shortly after we were married, we took out a 2nd on our home to pay for his debt which was incurred during his previous marriage. At that time, my name went on the title and I have continued to pay half of the mortgage. We have been married for 6 years.
He originally put down $20,000 when he purchased our home.

My question is am I entitled to half of the appraised value? How does this work?
Based on that scenario I think you have a good claim for 1/2 of the EQUITY (not appraised value). Equity is appraised value minus the remaining balance of the mortgage and 2nd loan. Yes, he put a large down payment on the home, but that is offset by his prior debt that was rolled into the 2nd loan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">