• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military Divorce Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dtboulet

What is the name of your state? divorced in AZ

My ex-wife and I verbally agreed that she would not go after my military retirement. At the time I was stationed in NC and she had moved back to AZ. When I received the final divorce decree it stated that she would get 50% of my retirement. We were married for 8 years and have been divorced for 3 years. Is the divorce decree binding under military law? Can I have it modified based on our verbal agreement?

Shay-Pari'e

dtboulet said:
What is the name of your state? divorced in AZ

My ex-wife and I verbally agreed that she would not go after my military retirement. At the time I was stationed in NC and she had moved back to AZ. When I received the final divorce decree it stated that she would get 50% of my retirement. We were married for 8 years and have been divorced for 3 years. Is the divorce decree binding under military law? Can I have it modified based on our verbal agreement?
You are asking three years after the fact. The divorce decree is binding, Period. The military has no law governing your divorce.

They are there to assist with emplemating the orders.

dtboulet

yes, it is 3 years after the fact, but the question remains the same. I am actually looking for legal advice not opinions. According to what I have been able to find out so far, the most she could lpossibly be entitled to is 50% of my retirement for the 8 years that we were married, roughly 20% of the total if I retire at 20 years. There is a chance that may not be enforceable since I was not a resident of AZ at the time of the divorce which may limit their jurisdiction and ability to grant any portion of the retirement without my consent or presence. In addition, under federal law, she is not entitled to any of my retirement under since we were married less than 10 years. I was hoping to find someone on the forum who is familiar with military law who could confirm or clarify my assumptions.

Shay-Pari'e

That was not an opinion, rather a fact.

Your orders are from 3 years ago, and you want to say "Not Fair" now?

Hire an attorney.

psst?

You have your divorce papers in front of your face. Sounds like a legal document to me.

Last edited:

LdiJ

dtboulet said:
yes, it is 3 years after the fact, but the question remains the same. I am actually looking for legal advice not opinions. According to what I have been able to find out so far, the most she could lpossibly be entitled to is 50% of my retirement for the 8 years that we were married, roughly 20% of the total if I retire at 20 years. There is a chance that may not be enforceable since I was not a resident of AZ at the time of the divorce which may limit their jurisdiction and ability to grant any portion of the retirement without my consent or presence. In addition, under federal law, she is not entitled to any of my retirement under since we were married less than 10 years. I was hoping to find someone on the forum who is familiar with military law who could confirm or clarify my assumptions.
I am sorry, but you have a court order in front of you giving her 50% of your retirement. The time to appeal that order is long past.

You can certainly consult with an attorney, but I am afraid that you are going to find out that your court orders are binding. Had you challenged it at the time, you might have been able to change things...but not three years later.

dtboulet said:
Do a search on the Uniformed Services Former Spouse Protection Act. There is NO entitlement to military retired pay no matter how many years of marriage. The USFSPA allows states to treat military retirement pay as property in a divorce and, therefore, subject to division like any other marital property. Many soldiers and their spouses hear about the "10 year" rule, but explore it no further. If you've been married to an active duty military member for at least 10 years while the member served on active duty AND you are awarded a portion of the retired pay as a property settlement in divorce, the former spouse may send in the court order with a DD Fm 2293 to receive direct pay. That's all. And, no matter what the court awards, DFAS will never send more than 50% of "disposable" retired pay unless child support or alimony is also involved. Somehow, this gets twisted into 10 years of marriage gets you 50% of retired pay. Or, that you have to be married 10 years to receive any award at all. Not true. Whether or not retired pay is awarded or how much is awarded is up to the state court.

Since you and your ex-wife were only married 8 years, she will never be able to receive a direct payment of your retired pay. However, that doesn't change the fact that you have been ordered to pay her by court order. If you do not pay her, she could take to back to court for contempt. 50% is not a normal division considering you were only married 8 years. But, as others have pointed out, you're about 3 years late in trying to fight this. The USFSPA also addresses some jurisdiction issues, I can't recall the details. I think jurisdiction for active duty military re divorce is also addressed in US Soldiers & Sailors Relief Act.

JorgaBell

Not really offering any advice, just letting you know what happened in my situation. When my ex and I divorced we had been married 15 years. I went to a Military Lawyer on the base to do separation papers. I was told by him that I was entitled to 33% of retirement because of the amount of time we had been married. He stated the 10/10 rule was in effect. You have to be married to servicemember for 10 years while they are in credible (sp?) service for 10 years. Those separation papers became our divorce decree.

I had to send the paperwork to Defense and Accounting to make sure everything was ready to go when he retired.

I was not entitled to 50% of his pay. I can't see how your ex would be after only 8 years of marriage.

But after 3 years, I think it's a little late.

Good Luck to you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">