• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Weary of agreeing to Bifurcation of Status

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vonderin

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

I live in Los Angeles CA. I have read the other threads regarding Bifurcation. The threads do not answer my question.

I am in the 5th month of a nasty divorce proceeding. My soon to be ex husband was found to be having an affair with a co-worker and is now living with her. My husband has been behaving erratically (changing jobs, cashing in stock, underestimating assets). He now wants me to agree to bifurcate the status of our divorce. My attorney's paralegal assures me that my assets will not be vulnerable to a sudden remarriage or possible pregnancy of another woman. Our financial picture is very complex. We are still trying to figure out what assets we do have so that we can divide them.

I do not have any qualms about divorcing this loser but at the same time I want to maintain the integrity of what the community currently owns. I do not work at this time (I will return to work once my son is off to school but he is only 2). I am worried about my sons trust fund, property taxes, what if my soon to be ex dies before we hammer out the specifics, etc.

Any information from anyone? Any good advice? I am nervously trying to find some answers.

THANKS MUCH :eek:

vonderin

To bifurcate status or not to bifurcate, that is the question.

Good question. My attorney says it usually means the requesting party wants to remarry. He basically said that I should allow it and that it will not affect the community assets. However, I have a gut feeling that it may come back to bite me. I guess I could always agree to it and make sure to specifically state that the community will not be touched by future 3d parties.

I guess I wanted to run it by the forum to see if anyone has any experience with it and what they went through. I have since read some horror stories regarding property taxes and termination of medical coverage. :rolleyes:

ENASNI

Hold On

There is a California Lawyer (L.A. even!) that pops in and out. If he sees your post he may be able to give you specific information that can help ease your mind.

Sometimes he comes in around 5-6 pm. PST

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">